• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JB pilots file with NMB

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They take an 8% cut every year from inflation and I would be willing to bet their health care costs are more than 4% of the average FO's salary. They pay twice in health care what I pay here. There's your 2% - if they even pay that. As far as I know, SWAPA still pays 1%. I could be wrong.
The health insurance from 2002 would have been locked in with a Pilot CBA but Jetblue is bound and determined to have the entire company on the same set of benefits. Rampers get a $1000 deductible. Pilots get a $1000 deductible. That's all well and good if you fly for fun.
This career used to be lucrative. Now you can't make a decent living if you're stuck in the right seat for 20 years.
That management team intends to redefine "airline pilot" and what that means in terms of work rules, pay, benefits, and even pilot duties. When I was there, they were trying to redefine rest rules and weighing in on age 65 in the name of the pilots.
I don't think the pilots are going to play ball anymore.
We'll see.

Last edited:
Dont forget that as soon as you sign in the union you take a 2% pay cut. Good Luck

This is a ridiculous statement. You don't take a 2% paycut, you are purchasing services with your 2%. You're purchasing legal representation, collective bargaining, work rule enforcement, etc... For just a measly 2%, you're buying a whole hell of a lot of services.

Good luck to the JetBlue pilots. Time to make another donation.

Dont forget that as soon as you sign in the union you take a 2% pay cut. Good Luck

Im sorry you must have mistaken our company for one of those pay for jet time get to wear this real fancy id lanyard hey baby i'm an airline pilot airlines

I also bought 15,000 shares of JB when it hit 3.68 a few weeks ago only to sell $2 higher about a week later.. I set it aside for JBPA dues

There are three main reasons for us to organize. First and foremost is legally the company cannot provide certain specific needs that are unique to pilots unless they provide them to every other employee. An industry standard pilot retirement plan; pilot specific LOL/LTD/STD rather than generic workmans comp; scope; merger/acquisition language; ERISA concerns about our 401K, etc, etc. These are just some of the issues that are pilot specific. Without a CBA the company is legally bound to lump us in with everybody else.

Second, I'm tired of having no say in workrules and scheduling issues. As of now the company can change anything at any time and we can't do anything about it. A CBA will codify the rules and hold the company and us to that standard and in the event there is a disagreement there will also be a resolution and/or grievance process. Right now they interpret and we either comply or not at our own peril.

Third, as an organized entity we have the ability to negotiate for our services. Right now we have no choice. Take it or leave it. The PCRB provided a comprehensive and detailed analysis of how we stack up against the rest of the industry. Despite repeated promises of making us whole we are still behind the curve. Barger's response was to spin it and try to convince us we are on par with our peers. If he really believes that he's an idiot and if he's just trying to blow smoke up our asses it's insulting. Either way, as an organized pilot group we get to leverage a say in the matter. To what effect? Who knows, but that would still be better than being neutered.

In general, I like our management team and I like working here, but we are one CEO change away from a Lorenzo and we would have no say in the new world order from the new guy. A CBA will give us some protection.

If, and that's a big if, your scenario plays out like you suggest I still think that short term pain for long term gain is necessary. No, I'm not in the bottom 300, but I'm still in the wrong seat and still a long way from getting to the good seat. This airline isn't bad if you get to look out the left window. It's pretty substandard if all you see is the right winglet.

good points...

How about a fourth and foremost reason: representation is the American and democratic way. It is modeled after our constitution that many have fought and sacrificed for....

Right, and representation today has not saved the thousands of union jobs that have been lost in both the aviation and automotive industires. So far, at the non-union Jetblue, no one has lost their job. That is a fact...

Right, and representation today has not saved the thousands of union jobs that have been lost in both the aviation and automotive industires. So far, at the non-union Jetblue, no one has lost their job. That is a fact...

Looks like we have a no voter on JBPA....

The point isn't about saving jobs. Unions do not hire and fire... Sure they can use negotiating capital to reduce layoffs.... but isn't that something the company should be doing anyway?

Oh and the very union, most unionized, SWA has not layed off anyone either...... In addition, I am not aware of SWA pilots leaving to go to jB, but plenty of jB leave to go to SWA....

Finally, and most importantly representation is not about unionism and saving jobs, it is about representation. The fundamental right to representation. Either you understand it as an American or not.....

Looks like we have a no voter on JBPA....

The point isn't about saving jobs. Unions do not hire and fire... Sure they can use negotiating capital to reduce layoffs.... but isn't that something the company should be doing anyway?

Oh and the very union, most unionized, SWA has not layed off anyone either...... In addition, I am not aware of SWA pilots leaving to go to jB, but plenty of jB leave to go to SWA....

Finally, and most importantly representation is not about unionism and saving jobs, it is about representation. The fundamental right to representation. Either you understand it as an American or not.....

The SWA pilots union also worked with management....they never persued the defined benefits package that put their competition at a disadvantage.....

It isn't about whether you are union or not....It's about being reasonable....Some unions are....some aren't.....If the SWA pilots union had been really hard line....they wouldn't be where they are today...

Rez. says unions "do not hire and fire"......that is true....However unions do affect the ability to compete with other companies......The UAW is a perfect example.....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back