• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Deli Guy

JetBlue execs forego annual bonuses

By JAMES BERNSTEIN
Newsday Staff Writer

April 21, 2006, 3:40 PM EDT

The chief executive officer and the two other top executives at JetBlue Airways Corp. waived their bonuses of $75,000 each in 2005 -- a year in which the low-cost carrier posted its first-ever quarterly loss, ranked among the worst in the industry in on-time performance, and said it did not expect a profit this year either.

In a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission yesterday, the three -- David Neeleman, JetBlue's founder, chairman and CEO; David Barger, its president and chief operating officer, and John Owen, the airline's executive vice president and chief financial officer -- disclosed that they would forgo the annual bonuses, which are a guaranteed $75,000.

The three could not be reached for comment, but Jenny Dervin, a spokeswoman at JetBlue's headquarters in Forest Hills, said "They felt that even though they were contractually able to claim their bonus, it was inappropriate to take it. So they voluntarily waived it." The three have a base salary of $200,000 each.

In the SEC filing, JetBlue said the $75,000 bonuses are "subject to increase based on the achievement of performance-based milestones."

But by just about any yardstick, JetBlue did not achieve any great milestones in 2005. The entire industry suffered from high fuel prices. JetBlue acknowledged that it did not do a good job of betting on fuel costs. It hedged only 20 percent of its fuel costs, at $29.95 a barrel. Fuel was close to $70 a barrel last year.

JetBlue may also have expanded too rapidly, bringing on a new type of aircraft -- the Embraer 190 -- at a fast pace. The airline in some months last year was dead last among U.S. carriers when it came to on-time performance. JetBlue blamed bad weather and the fact that many of its flights are in the heavily-traveled East Coast corridor. By year's end, JetBlue reported its first-ever quarterly loss of $42 million and said it did not expect to be profitable this year.

Investors punished the stock, sending shares plummeting to about $9. In 2003, Jetblue stock hit a high of $31. Robert W. Mann, an independent airline analyst in Port Washington, said JetBlue "missed the boat on a couple of things. This is their way of saying mea culpa publicly." Copyright 2006 Newsday Inc.

All:

If any of you had any lingering doubts about why JB has excellent employee/management relations, this should put it all to rest.

We aren't better than anyone else, and we aren't immune to the same ills everyone else has. However, IMHO, we are a hell of a lot luckier than most in that we have management that gives a crap and they are not afraid to say it in both words and actions.

Flame away!

A350

Come on.....................

$75,000 in bonus? Way to take it for the team. How many stock options were they granted in '05?

Barger sold 12 million in stock as well as Owen last year.

Barger has sold 28,150 shares a month this year!

Do the math, hardly taking it for the team.

Remember captial gains taxes are 15%. At thier income level, pay is taxed at the highest rate around 38%. Look at it as saving them on taxes rather then taking it for the team.

Hutchman said:
Come on.....................

$75,000 in bonus? Way to take it for the team. How many stock options were they granted in '05?

Barger sold 12 million in stock as well as Owen last year.

Barger has sold 28,150 shares a month this year!

Do the math, hardly taking it for the team.

Remember captial gains taxes are 15%. At thier income level, pay is taxed at the highest rate around 38%. Look at it as saving them on taxes rather then taking it for the team.

name another time you saw an airline management team "waive" any type of bonus. well.... im waiting????

I don't think Neeleman receives any stock options. He naturally had stock at the inception of the IPO. But, I believe that is all he has. Barger? I don't know.

CD

jbucpt said:
name another time you saw an airline management team "waive" any type of bonus. well.... im waiting????

Actually CAL managment "waived" thiers last month. They hit thier stock price and decided not to take the payout. It would've looked real bad to take it because the main reason the stock went up was because of employee givebacks.

I am not trying to start a fight, just stating that JBLU was just following the leader. American on the otherhand..................

But seroiusly, how many shares of stock do the head honchos get every year?

Hutchman said:
Actually CAL managment "waived" thiers last month. They hit thier stock price and decided not to take the payout. It would've looked real bad to take it because the main reason the stock went up was because of employee givebacks.

I am not trying to start a fight, just stating that JBLU was just following the leader. American on the otherhand..................

But seroiusly, how many shares of stock do the head honchos get every year?

All of the stock that Barger is unloading was what he was given when he left CAL to come to JBLU back in 99. I don't beleive that Neeleman has any stock becuase he is not listed as a major inside holder. Neeleman and the team gave lots of equity in the company before it was even started as an incentive for people to leave stable companies in 99 to come to a startup. Barger has since sold a set amount every month since coming on board. He is basically the only guy who has been selling stock and he has done it every single month for the past 5 years. I don't beleive that they get any more options on a yearly basis other than what you see listed in SEC reports which has been very little the last few years. I would much rather work for a management team that acts like the one JBLU has than the one at CAL. Tell me one thing that Kellner has done to show the CAL employees he actually cares about them? He sure makes alot of money for running a company that has not made a profit since 2001. He has recieved nothing but pay increases as his employees have taken pay cuts and his company still loses money. I'll bet he would never work for $200K per year.

Give me a break! You guys really think that giving up a 75K bonus is giving it up for the team? His bonus is already paid for since people like you are ready to lick his boots.

Neeleman and Barger have made millions of bucks on this one and will publicize the hell out of this to make you listen to them. Why not just up those pay rates? Jetblue is paying 100 seat jet captains 70 bucks an hour and you think this is "leadership"?

Bueller?

Latest resources

Back