• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JB and AA to be announced on Wednesday.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This may be the latest in merger strategies.

UAL and CAL are merging and now CAL is hiring UAL furloughed pilots, 180 of them. Cheaper labor costs, even with the higher UAL payrates that these pilots keep. A dozen UAL 75s going away, CAL getting 19 new 737s next year.

AA merges with US Air and starts to shift flying over them. Another end run around RLA.

I normally agree with your posts, and while I do not disagree with this one, I don't understand it. Can you elaborate on the cheaper labor cost and end run on the RLA comment? I'm sure you have a good point, I'm just not getting it....

As per M/B which references A/M 50% of the pilot group may be stapled to the bottom of the list. The other 50% are theoretically added fairly. What is fair?

That would be the CAL/PeoplExpress model...Capts get DoH, F/Os get stapled.

That would be the CAL/PeoplExpress model...Capts get DoH, F/Os get stapled.

If everyone at JB got DOH then that would still be a staple. AA hasn't hired since 9/11

It worked out so well for the TWA guys and gals!

TWA received a 52% staple. The subsequent furloughs were in relation to 9-11. The Jetblue PEA states, and references M/B-A/M, that a majority will not be added to the bottom of another list. So while many complain about the TWA/AA merger without knowing the actual percentages the Jetblue PEA does very little to protect you any more.

The Jetblue pilots voted for this level, or lack of, protection.

That's where I draw the line. If I'm at metro and lefferts I'm eating at Tu Casa.

TWA received a 52% staple. The subsequent furloughs were in relation to 9-11. The Jetblue PEA states, and references M/B-A/M, that a majority will not be added to the bottom of another list. So while many complain about the TWA/AA merger without knowing the actual percentages the Jetblue PEA does very little to protect you any more.

The Jetblue pilots voted for this level, or lack of, protection.

Doesn't matter. The very best that the JB ppl could hope for is for the 320 cas and fos to be merged in with the AA 737 and md80 cas and fos. The 190 ppl would all be stapled. That would fit in with the "career expectations" model.

A 50% staple is Gonna happen, like it or not. The APA won't accept anything less.

Still won't matter much. More than 70% of the AA pilot group gone in 12 years to retirement. No matter what happens, Jr guys are gonna make out better than dr guys, even if there is a furlough.

"If everyone at JB got DOH then that would still be a staple. AA hasn't hired since 9/11"

This should be the number 1 reason why JetBlue guys wouldn't accept/tolerate a merger. I'd stand to some how, miraculously become more senior on furlough, but hell, it still wouldn't be worth going back for.

My personal hope is for AA to declre bankruptcy (as they will), freeze the pensions and kick the new year off with a better business plan. Start by giving the pilots (and other unions) a small raise (32%), freeze management bonuses and offer a nie TWA-style DAP.

One can dream...until then, I watch from the sidelines and hope my JetbLue bretheren don't get sucked into this hole.

Latest resources

Back