• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JB and AA to be announced on Wednesday.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Out in the islands the natives always say they will do something "Tomorrow." Tomorrow is code for "not going to happen whitie."

Tomorrow JBLU and AMR are going to merge. Island talk.

Sounds more like one will acquire the other, only question is who. Maybe jetBlue will do all domestic and AA will end up all international.

...yawn...

Yep, its been about 2 weeks since the last AA/JB merger thread. I'm sure this time it is for real! ;)

I will ask the same questions that I asked when somebody on the XJT board started a rumor about AA and USAir.

What does B6 bring to AA?

New international routes-nope

East coast presence-nope because AA already has that with 4 bases/hubs on the east coast.

West Coast presence-AA already has a pretty big west coast presence as well.

Mid West presence-B6 brings nothing to the table on this and AA already has a huge mid-west presence.

Aircraft-AA has a huge airbus order so I why would they be wanting to merge with somebody who already has a bunch, why not merge before and forgo the order? 190's? Maybe for the 190's, but I dont know, pay on the 190 isnt exactly B-scale enough to make a huge difference I wouldnt think.

Pilots-fairly young pilot group at B6, but what does this really bring to AA? Retirement replacements? They(AA) could simply just hire off the street and get cheaper pilots than what B6 has since they would have to take them at longevity pay rates(a lot of the B6 pilots would max the AA pay scale, thus negating any cost savings). Plus there would be HUGE infighting of the pilot groups in this merger with way to many unknowns about how that may play out with a non-union work group merging with a union work group(which has a history of being ruthless).

New management-if Arpey wants out, why not just leave.

I dont know, maybe I am having random thoughts, but I dont see this as a good merger. I dont see any airline in the US that is left as being a good merger for AA in the fact that I dont think anybody brings anything to the table that AA doesnt already have(or is going to get through their huge aircraft order book).

Now a straight acquisition simply to eliminate competition, ala TWA/Reno, I could see happening, but with AA's supposedly precarious financial position and rumors of a BK filing I dont see how they could spread that rumor one week and then make a financial acquisition of another carrier the next, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back