It's "Sierra"... not "Sugar"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tally ho.

See, I always thought that "tally ho" was what a higher class of pimp says to one of his ladies when inquiring as to that evening's cash flow.

That settles it then. From now on, when I have traffic in sight, I'm going to say to ATC,
"Bitch, gimme my money!"
:pimp:

Well, how about this one?

"No joy, I'm popeye."

I'm sure only a few vietnam vintage guys will be able to translate that.

PHX767 said:
"No joy, I'm popeye."

I'm sure only a few vietnam vintage guys will be able to translate that.
Popeye = IMC, which would explain the no joy...

(And I'm only 24 :))

Tally Ho.

As far as I'm concerned there are only two kinds of people who should use the term Tally Ho.

1) A military pilot flying a military airplane talking to a military controller.

2) An Englishman hunting fox.

Everyone else is kindly asked to refer to the Pilot/Controller glossary.

Glossery?
Glossory?

You know what I mean.

Fury220 said:
Popeye = IMC, which would explain the no joy...

(And I'm only 24 :))

Wow, Great job Fury220!

I didn't know that term was still in vogue. Now confess, you asked your Commander or Ops Officer, didn't you? :)

The whole slew of Tally, No Joy, Visual, and Blind terms come from military comm whereby the "code words" spoke volumes to all on a congested frequency with minimal airtime. Listening to a professionally executed air-air engagement between a 4-ship and some bad guys is a thing of beauty. Comm discipline is truly the mark of a well-run unit.

There are MANY more terms, such as "sorted", "locked", and directive terms like "pitch", "break", "press", and "separate". Bad guys become "North Package", "Leader", "Trailer", "South Spitter", "weeds", etc etc

It is tough to divorce these terms from your vocabulary after years of use. I personally think it is a bit pathetic to use them in the civilian world and try to use standard AIM comm.

One thing I did enjoy cross-country in a fighter is the ability to reply to an ATC traffic call like so:

ATC: "Chogy 1, you have traffic 12 o'clock, 15 miles, 1,000' below you."
Chogy 1: "Roger, radar contact there."
ATC: "Oh yeah, you guys can do that!"

PHX767 said:
Wow, Great job Fury220!

I didn't know that term was still in vogue. Now confess, you asked your Commander or Ops Officer, didn't you? :)

Nope. Just knew it. I might be a FAIP, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :)

Actually, it's worth it as a military pilot to keep your nose in an operational 3-1 to keep up with some terminology. Swede listed a couple good ones.
Weeds = "said contact is low"
Spitter = "said contact is a singleton leaving a group of aircraft"
Press = "continue attack...direct support is assumed/maintained"

I might be a little off on these, but you get the idea on how a little brevity code can go a long way. Swede...what about "champange" and "stinger?" Those are nice ones, too. :)

Champagne... don't know that one. I'm going to guess a tall, very vertical formation, which can be tough to sort. Some units created their own terms, that might be one of them. Stinger to me implies a loner (or a tight 2-ship) in a rather deep trail designed to create havoc once the merge has matured into a turning fight.

The Soviets, in the good ol' days when our enemy was rational, tended to field staggered (lead trail or echelon) formations, whereas we tended to create huge line abreast "walls" for max radar coverage.

To simulate weird Soviet tactics, some guys had a "playbook" of formations and maneuvers, each aptly named something like The Chernobyl Glower, Goat Rodeo, Midget Rugby, Hair-On-Fire, and the always popular Polish Heart Attack. :D

Latest resources

Back