It's "Sierra"... not "Sugar"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
On the topic of "no joy" and "tally," here it is from your resident FAIP:

NO JOY = I don't see the traffic that's NOT part of my formation/element.
BLIND = I don't see the aircraft that IS a member of my formation/element.
VISUAL = I see the aircraft that IS a member of my formation/element.
TALLY (or, if you're feeling limp-wristed...TALLY HO) = I see the traffic that's NOT part of my formation/element.

To further delve into terminology:
LOOKING = trying to find traffic visually and without the aid of electronics (i.e.: radar), as in NO JOY, LOOKING. (I think this is redundant, but whatever...)
SEARCHING = trying to find traffic visually and WITH the aid of electronics, as in NO JOY, SEARCHING.

I don't see much difference between the two of those, but I'm sure I'll catch hell from those with fighter time for saying that.

As far as dudes without a military uniform in their background calling TALLY HO....whatever. I could go either way on it (sts).

Tram said:
does anyone know if tallyho is correct or not? I flew with a "P3" guy who heard a guy say "tally ho" on the radio and threw a fit.. the kept rambling about "it's just tally.. it's JUST tally." I always thought it was tally ho?

I have never used TALLY HO, as that would make me gay. It's just TALLY as far as I'm concerned.

Fury220 said:
I have never used TALLY HO, as that would make me gay. It's just TALLY as far as I'm concerned.

So I guess "OK, I got him" (or her, for United traffic) is right out. Although the controllers do seem to understand it...

And while TALLY HO may be a strong indicator, it doesn't make you gay. It's putting your mouth on ***censored*** that does it.....

I say Tally Ho, and ATC knows what I'm saying when I do, thats the jist of the conversation. You may say Tally if you stick your pinky out when you sip your tea, and play with your TallyWacker.

erj-145mech said:
I say Tally Ho, and ATC knows what I'm saying when I do, thats the jist of the conversation. You may say Tally if you stick your pinky out when you sip your tea, and play with your TallyWacker.

Well...agree to disagree, I guess. :)

I'm just going off of what me and my compadres use on a daily basis. The key here is brevity, and TALLY HO is just an extra syllable that's not needed when the radios are busy.

...but what do I know? :)

I'd like to agree with the original poster...."Sugar" is gay as hell, normally only used by douchebags.

The semi-colon is a fine piece of punctuation, not used nearly enough.

"Tally Ho" is also very gay for us civilian fellas to be using.

MJG said:
Oh, your one of "those" kind of pilots. My sincerest apologies.

Yup, he is one of those kind of pilots.....that works for FedEx.

See FedEx knows how to weed out Clown Pilots. Their interview process is designed to screen pilots who think following the rules is boring, a chore and un-cool.

There aren't many pilots that work for the better companies advocating unprofessionalism. And let's be clear, being Professional doesn't mean you are a Neidermeyer Toolbox from Animal House. Professional means you....

• Don't need to be policed.
  • You don't pick and choose which Rules you follow
  • You don't need the FAA or Company babysitting you
Slang has its place in ATC communication, but if you don't have a [real] good reason to deviate from the rules then you are just a Clown Pilot.

When ATC makes a traffic call, why is the response Looking or Tally {ho} better than Negative Contact or In Sight? It is not. So why use Looking? Because everyone else does? (I know looking at hooves and dirt is easier but when you raise your head there is a whole new world out there...)

Enjoy your EMB.....because until your attitude and guys like you change you will be flying it for a long time.....

Wow some of you guys are wound up tighter than Harriet Miers' private parts.

When I say "by the book" I am reffering to the AIM (you know that "book")recommended radio phraseology. I'm not talking about anything other than the words coming out of pilots' mouths. I am not reffering to the phonetic alphabet. Radio phraseology, that's all I'm reffering to. I actually agree that the correct words contained in the phontetic alphabet should always be used. It just makes things easier for all involved. I'm not talking about deviating from the FAR's or company policies or regulations here. If you want to be all wound up about the words your fellow aviators are using to get their point across then you're going to have to be upset with about 99% of the pilot group out there. Everyone uses wording and phraseology that differs from what the AIM recommends. This is what I'm talking about.

The fact that TonyC and others can't read into this per my post makes him one of "those" pilots. The fact that he just assumes that I am some reckless kid hell bent on repeating some of the inexcuseable acts of the past couple years makes him "one of those pilots". The fact that he takes a "hollier than thow attitude" toward me makes him "one of those pilots".

Originally posted by Rez O. Lewshun
Yup, he is one of those kind of pilots.....that works for FedEx.
See FedEx knows how to weed out Clown Pilots. Their interview process is designed to screen pilots who think following the rules is boring, a chore and un-cool.

How many airplanes have FedEx guys totaled over the last 5 years?? Thank GOD there weren't any passengers in those airplanes, FedEx wouldn't even be around these days if there were. Don't preach to the rest of us about safety until you can back it up.

MJG said:
How many airplanes have FedEx guys totaled over the last 5 years?? Thank GOD there weren't any passengers in those airplanes, FedEx wouldn't even be around these days if there were. Don't preach to the rest of us about safety until you can back it up.

Oh jeez...here we go....

MJG said:

To be fair and logical your comparison needs to be done in percentages.

But you aren't being fair and logical so...... enjoy the jungle jet.....

Latest resources

Back