• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

It's "Sierra"... not "Sugar"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
i messed up and had a slip of the tounge once...i was flying to michigan with my buddy about two weeks ago and we were joking arround about different names for Kalamazoo Approach (basically we were making fun of them cause we were really bored) "Kazoo" Approach was our favorite name and upon calling them up i actually called them "Kazoo" approach...man did that piss them off...

Rez O. Lewshun said:
In case you [the reader] aren't getting it....

The two responses to a traffic call are 1. Negative contact or 2. In sight.

'Looking' is not in the pilot/controller glossary. Telling ATC you have traffic on the "fish finder" only is waste of everyone's energy and indicates the transmitting pilots ignorance.

"No Joy" is for guys with call signs and movies.

If you don't know the rest, get your money back from your instructor....

Keeping this in mind, why is it that ATC is always asking me if I'm looking?

Drives me insane!

-mini

EastCoastLR35 said:
I love how all these threads start out "on topic" then they turn in to a b!tching session
What's your baggage?

Those who live in glass houses...

This is for everyone who argues "sugar" or whatever slang isn't in the AIM. Do you always say "climbing or descending to" when changing altitude, or "level" at your assigned alt? Are you one of those people who say "alright we'll cross this side of ABC at 13 and 250", or "we'll hurry on down for ya?" Point is nobody uses exact AIM phraseology anymore (did they ever?) I hear bad radio ettiquette from everyone, GA through Corporate/Frac/Airline/Cargo, and yes myself included. There's a time and place for levity on frequency, problem is too many people don't know when it is. For those who don't already, go read Don Brown's ATC columns on Avweb. He has some great examples of when bad phraseology can cause confusion and misunderstanding. Excellent reading.

SDCFI said:
Are you one of those people who say "alright we'll cross this side of ABC at 13 and 250", or "we'll hurry on down for ya?" Point is nobody uses exact AIM phraseology anymore

Yeah, but nobody sounds like a limp-wrister when they say "ten and two-fifty."

My whole point was how gay it sounds when guys say "Sugar Fox" or "Sugar Pop."

Ok, here a a few..

Sugar Momma...must only be said in a sexy womans voice though, if a man uses this, run the other way FAST.

Sugar Daddy...Well, i guess since we all work in this industry we will never be able to "truthfully" use this one.

There are also a few we use for our a/c when talking back and forth between company only...most of which are pretty dang hilarious, but they would unfortunately not be prudent on here, and a few would even be caught by the censor.

It's only phraseology, let them say what they want to say, if atc has a problem with it then they will say something. I agree that everyone uses the wrong terminology when talking on the radios, some take it to the extreme, but most of the time it is cool. Hearing the same old stuff all the time gets pretty darn boring, and i am sure it is the same for the atc guys/gals. I know at night we have lots of fun with the radios, and atc even plays along most of the time...maybe it is just more fun hanging out with the night guys versus all the day people, we just seem to have more fun and be more laid back.

What about the guy who screamed "oh crap" over STL center. Or for cripes sake guys could we stop asking for football scores over center freq. I think someone needs more paperwork to do....

center citiation 123 checkin in on one-three-three/thirty-five level three-three-ohh

Latest resources

Back