• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

It's "Sierra"... not "Sugar"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If I am not mistaked the military uses Sugar instead of Sierra.

It always been my understanding from the AIM that you could use whatever term you wanted when calling out tail letters as long as the term was "clear and unmistakeable" or something to that effect. Doesn't the Disney Corp. Gulfstream fly around using "One Mickey Mouse" or something stupid like that??

But I will say this. Those of us out there flying 80-100 hours a month get real tired of always using the "correct" phraseology. As someone mentioned earlier it gets real old real quick. You'll go insane being mister "by the book" all the time. After all, variety is the spice of life, no ??

I wonder if all the pilot/controller glossary nazis get an email any time radio etiquette is mentioned here.

Although having read that earlier thread I noticed the last captain i flew with using those "excess words", but i let it slide, reminding myself that I'm a first year fo and not a check airman.

Are you serious?

MJG said:
But I will say this. Those of us out there flying 80-100 hours a month get real tired of always using the "correct" phraseology. As someone mentioned earlier it gets real old real quick. You'll go insane being mister "by the book" all the time. After all, variety is the spice of life, no ??
I really hope you're not serious.

If following the rules all the time will result in your insanity, I recommend you find another line of work. What's so hard about using the Int'l Phonetic alphabet? Does it make you go crazy to follow your company's rules? Are there any other FARs that get under your skin? Did you inform your employer of this problem when you interviewed for the job?

General George S. Patton once said:
"If you can't get them to salute when they should salute and wear the clothes you tell them to wear, how are you going to get them to die for their country?"

The phonetic alphabet is a little thing. If you can't do the little things right, how can you be entrusted to do the big things?

You were kidding, right?

TonyC said:
I really hope you're not serious.

If following the rules all the time will result in your insanity, I recommend you find another line of work. What's so hard about using the Int'l Phonetic alphabet? Does it make you go crazy to follow your company's rules? Are there any other FARs that get under your skin? Did you inform your employer of this problem when you interviewed for the job?

The phonetic alphabet is a little thing. If you can't do the little things right, how can you be entrusted to do the big things?

You were kidding, right?

Oh, you're one of "those" kind of pilots. My sincerest apologies.

Last edited:
There was some dork running around the west coast a while back (or still?) with a sierra sierra tail number. He used to refer to himself as "Super Sport." To add insult to injury, he used to use "The Super Sport."

As in, "The Super Sport's leaving 410." Arrrrgh!

does anyone know if tallyho is correct or not? I flew with a "P3" guy who heard a guy say "tally ho" on the radio and threw a fit.. the kept rambling about "it's just tally.. it's JUST tally." I always thought it was tally ho?

Latest resources

Back