• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

It's "Sierra"... not "Sugar"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All I know is that my daughter has an A- in Freshman English, and and I'm going to get her opinion on all the above posts. I'm very confused....

Brett Hull said:
There's a bank in KC that flies a Citation of some sort with the tail number ending in "CB". They always refer to themselves as "Citation 123 Charlie Brown".:rolleyes:

I hear that stupid citation all the time! He drives me crazy. :smash:

Getting back to Sugar.It is old school as is Baker but don't ask me what year it was changed.Sugar was wrong when I started flying in 1968 thou all the old WW II guys used it.

Photoflight said:
Or for cripes sake guys could we stop asking for football scores over center freq. I think someone needs more paperwork to do....

I'll make you a deal, when the passengers stop asking the flight attendant if we can get the score to the game of their choice, I'll stop asking center to help me out.

Recently heard a corp Cheyanne or some such truboprop, say (Not exact callsign) 4 Shugah Shugah, checking in.

Then every call after was answered with, "Roger Shug shug...."

C'mon!

A Squared said:
Nothing wrong with his terminology, it's his punctuation which needs a little tweaking. This sound better to you?

"It doesn't make you sound cool; on the contrary, it's kinda gay."

I too was impressed with A Squared using a semicolon AND a comma correctly. That is uncommon. Kudos to you.

SiuDude said:
Unlike the other examples here, Dixie at ATL is actually charted as "Dixie" on the airport diagram.

I believe that comes from the fact that ATL is a hub for Delta, which we know is the 4th phonetic letter of the alphabet. So, to combat confusion with Delta Airplane calls with Delta in the alphabet, they use "Dixie" as the identification of the letter "D"

Furthermore, No Joy is acceptable as transmitting you do not have the Traffic in sight. It is more commonly used by WWII age pilots rather than newer aviators. The calls during the theaters were, "Tally Ho" and "No Joy" for in sight and not in sight respectively.

There is more to the story than I can remember but, basically If the airplane warrior did not have the enemy in sight there was a chance the enemy would fly to american soil and kill people; therefore, there would be No Joy at home.

moxiepilot said:
Furthermore, No Joy is acceptable as transmitting you do not have the Traffic in sight. It is more commonly used by WWII age pilots rather than newer aviators. The calls during the theaters were, "Tally Ho" and "No Joy" for in sight and not in sight respectively.

There is more to the story than I can remember but, basically If the airplane warrior did not have the enemy in sight there was a chance the enemy would fly to american soil and kill people; therefore, there would be No Joy at home.

Thats the whole point, its NOT WW2 pilots using it, or even military pilots either, since its on VHF when we hear it. There unfortunately are very few WW2 pilots flying, most are on permanent departure now.

"No joy" was a british wartime expression, now used by US military pilots too. I agree with those that it sound irredeemably dorky being used in a civilian context, and its also not correct phraseology.

Maybe those caught using it should be required to wear a helmet and oxygen mask too, especially if they are flying a 172, and made to say this in the pattern at least once.

"I am too close for missiles, and am switching to guns"

Maybe at some point has to tell ATC - "Your Dangerous!", or tells tower after landing "You can be my wingman anytime" just to complete the dorkyness factor.

Latest resources

Back