It's "Sierra"... not "Sugar"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gorilla said:
It's a good thread worthy of ressurection. The winner for worst use of callsign so far must be the "Shug Shug" example. :puke:

When I was interviewing, post military, and in the 707 simulator, I used the term "Wilco," a perfectly acceptable .mil term. The sim instructor backhanded me (drew blood) and said "Don't EVER say that again, or I will be forced to kill you."

Really? Seems like most controllers like the term and complain that pilots say "Roger" when they should be saying "Wilco" (Will Comply). It's standard FAA phraseology too, not just mil...

Okay, I have to be a dork. What is wrong with wilco? I can't stand "roger wilco" but just "wilco" has its use.

Way2Broke said:
Okay, I have to be a dork. What is wrong with wilco? I can't stand "roger wilco" but just "wilco" has its use.

I still think it's OK, I just don't use it personally and rarely hear it on VHF. It's a very efficient term. "I heard your instructions, understand them, and will comply."

Maybe since we have to read back almost all ATC instructions, Wilco becomes useless, so we drop it.

In this case, since the Sim-P controlled my destiny, I just nodded and said "Yes Sir."

Gorilla said:
Maybe since we have to read back almost all ATC instructions, Wilco becomes useless, so we drop it.

It is very effective when taxiing. Ground only requires runway crosses and hold shorts to be read back. Not sure why guys read back "wait for the 737, follow the ERJ...blah blah blah....

Gorilla said:
In this case, since the Sim-P controlled my destiny, I just nodded and said "Yes Sir."

Wow.... not sure if he can defend that to anyone... workplace harrasment, physical violence... this is Air Line Pilot training.... not Full Metal Jacket....

Did you regress into total military recall and shout out...

THANK YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!!!!

Last edited:
"Wilco" has its uses -- short and sweet.

I'm going full-circle here to say I am GUILTY of Sugar Fox'ing.

I flew a XXX Sierra Foxtrot for about a year once, and that particular letter combination is a real tongue twister (for me, at least). In the first place, a lot of people have trouble with Sierra (you hear a lot of "Sahara" out there). In the second place, Foxtrot is also a trot too long.

Sugar Fox is easy to pronounce, and short. I know, I know: it's wrong. But you fly around trying to spit out Sierra Foxtrot all day (especially if you have a 6 or 7 in the numbers), and see how so many sibilants in sequence seem to suck suddenly.

It always been my understanding from the AIM that you could use whatever term you wanted when calling out tail letters as long as the term was "clear and unmistakeable" or something to that effect.

From what paragraph in the AIM to you gain that "understanding?"

Latest resources

Back