It's official.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I_Love_Lamp said:
So which regional has had 2-3 base changes recently? And how many regional pilots have wife and kids? I'm assuming the original poster has suffered from neither.

Nobody said this job was going to be easy.

We have today's Summer's Eve winner!

In 6 years, I have been in 6 different bases, only 1 was voluntary. The other 5 had to do with base closures. Also, how many regional pilots have a wife and kids? Are you serious?

I_Love_Lamp said:
Then live in base and quit your bitching.

It's easy to tell you haven't been in this biz long. Best of luck in your endeavors.

i want to be a fashion model! wait......no a chef......no wait...a pilot.....

I_Love_Lamp said:
So which regional has had 2-3 base changes recently? And how many regional pilots have wife and kids? I'm assuming the original poster has suffered from neither.

Nobody said this job was going to be easy.

[Raising hand] ME! ME!

I had two bases with ACA, then was furloughed and hired by ASA at a third base. I've been married the whole time (to the same woman, no less) and had a baby about halfway through the process. I'm not unique either. With all the furloughs going on there are a lot of people who had stable lives and were then uprooted.

One point that hasn't been addressed is that if you are displaced, as opposed to voluntarily transferring, the company will normally pick up the tab for the move if you choose to move to your new domicile.

Commuting is a fact of life. I have commuted and lived in domicile and not commuting is nicer by far, but for some people it just isn't an option. Best answer, find a company with long call reserve. Bid reserve, sit at home, and wait for the company to send you a check.

LAMP (actually an acronym for Least Able to Make Pilot) is down in the basement with his John and Martha King action figures. Mom says it's time to wash up for supper!

I_Love_Lamp said:
Then live in base and quit your bitching.

I did live in base but got displaced out of it when the 41s left RIC....now Im getting downgraded back to jet FO so I will be displaced (2nd displacement in 4 months) back to RIC and will be living in base again. Also if you count the last few months of 2003 and the first few months of 2004 (about a 7 or 8 month period) I had 5 bases...3 with one company then got a new job then had 2 bases with them. So unless you like to pack up and move a few times a year then STFU.

Even though I dont have a wife or kiddos Id say at least half of the people I fly with do.

Latest resources

Back