• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

It's official.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
He loves his job and says his hours are flexible, allowing plenty of time for family.

That was my favorite part. I commute so I get to spend about 8 nights a month in my own bed if Im lucky.

great cornholio said:
That was my favorite part. I commute so I get to spend about 8 nights a month in my own bed if Im lucky.

Then live in base and quit your bitching.

Im only making half of that. Dude Im gettin ripped off!

kmox29 said:

What? You want to live in FLL and work out of RIC, you're going to have issues. If you want to make that sacrefice, then you shouldn't complain. If I was a stock broker and I wanted to live in Dallas, it'd be fairly difficult. Be glad you can at least pick where you live.

I_Love_Lamp said:

A lot of pilots commute because of various circumstances, including downgrades and displacements. The whole "If you don't like the commute, move" argument is not realistic in many cases. That's what.

kmox29 said:
A lot of pilots commute because of various circumstances, including downgrades and displacements. The whole "If you don't like the commute, move" argument is not realistic in many cases. That's what.

If I was a salesman and my job got transferred out to Albuquerque, I'd have to move.

Entitled to a lot, are ya?

I_Love_Lamp said:
If I was a salesman and my job got transferred out to Albuquerque, I'd have to move.

Since you appear to not be in the 121 field I can understand your nieve approach to the subject.

Lately in the airline community, downgrades and base realignments are coming fast and furious, in some cases 2 or 3 base changes a year.

Not exactly easy for a family with kids and such. (House sales, and purchases, job changes for the spouse, school changes for the kids etc)

I_Love_Lamp said:

Wow, it took 3 posts for you to get personal. Nice debate style. I'll try to say my point and then I'll be done. You can have your cheap shot response after.

I don't really feel sorry for a commuter who stays in a sunny destination, applies to a job in Detroit, gets hired, and then complains about it. But there are quite a few (more so now) pilots who have been involuntarily removed from their domicile (where they live). These pilots have families and relationships in their hometowns. Some of these pilots also have 10+ years dedication to their respective employers. They're struggling through a downturn and are trying to make the best of it.

Their job allows them to commute, so they do. They are not forced to do so, but many times, there is not an immediate alternative local job available. It's what they need to do. I feel for those pilots. It's hard on them and their families.

I don't feel I'm entitled to anything. (Your assumption) Just realistic. I compare your "just move" comment to the "If you don't like our country, leave" battle cry. It's just not how things work.

Latest resources

Back