It's official.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
KeroseneSnorter said:
Since you appear to not be in the 121 field I can understand your nieve approach to the subject.

Lately in the airline community, downgrades and base realignments are coming fast and furious, in some cases 2 or 3 base changes a year.

Not exactly easy for a family with kids and such. (House sales, and purchases, job changes for the spouse, school changes for the kids etc)

So which regional has had 2-3 base changes recently? And how many regional pilots have wife and kids? I'm assuming the original poster has suffered from neither.

Nobody said this job was going to be easy.

I see both sides of the fence on commuting...from one base/hub to another is not that bad and to be expected. However, those that live in places like Midland, TX and commute to ATL have no room to complain.

kmox29 said:
Wow, it took 3 posts for you to get personal. Nice debate style. I'll try to say my point and then I'll be done. You can have your cheap shot response after.

I don't really feel sorry for a commuter who stays in a sunny destination, applies to a job in Detroit, gets hired, and then complains about it. But there are quite a few (more so now) pilots who have been involuntarily removed from their domicile (where they live). These pilots have families and relationships in their hometowns. Some of these pilots also have 10+ years dedication to their respective employers. They're struggling through a downturn and are trying to make the best of it.

Their job allows them to commute, so they do. They are not forced to do so, but many times, there is not an immediate alternative local job available. It's what they need to do. I feel for those pilots. It's hard on them and their families.

I don't feel I'm entitled to anything. (Your assumption) Just realistic. I compare your "just move" comment to the "If you don't like our country, leave" battle cry. It's just not how things work.

It was an impersonal "you", so I apologize if you (directed you) took it personal :)

But how many of these guys are actively searching for a job where they live? If I'm getting based closed and shifted all over the country, then my company clearly has no concern for myself and my family, so f 'em, I'm getting out.

I_Love_Lamp said:
So which regional has had 2-3 base changes recently? And how many regional pilots have wife and kids? I'm assuming the original poster has suffered from neither.

Nobody said this job was going to be easy.

O.K., I was trying to explain it to you.

However it appears that you are a low time idiot flight instructor who thinks that he has this flying business all figured out.

I really enjoyed your question of "How many regional pilots have a wife and kids" That one really highlighted your stupidity and wet behind the ears status in the industry.

For the record, I saw three bases in one year at a Major airline, the regionals are much worse to move your sorry butt around.

KeroseneSnorter said:
O.K., I was trying to explain it to you.

However it appears that you are a low time idiot flight instructor who thinks that he has this flying business all figured out.

Not quite, skippy, but thanks for playing.

I really enjoyed your question of "How many regional pilots have a wife and kids" That one really highlighted your stupidity and wet behind the ears status in the industry.

I just figure with how idiotic and egocentric you folk in general are that you'd be unable to get a girl, let alone score with one. Edit: not all pilots, just some of the ones that post on here and cryyyyyy but wipe their tears with their ERAU diploma and thank God mom is cooking pot roast for dinner.

I_Love_Lamp said:
It was an impersonal "you", so I apologize if you (directed you) took it personal :)

I did. I'm a little wound up after my 4-day. Apology accepted :)

I_Love_Lamp said:
But how many of these guys are actively searching for a job where they live? If I'm getting based closed and shifted all over the country, then my company clearly has no concern for myself and my family, so f 'em, I'm getting out.

Quite a few airlines are shifting/have shifted bases. Mesaba and Air Wisconson to name a couple. No airline has any respect for you or your family (well, maybe Southwest). I know a bunch of guys trying to get out (myself included). I would also say that the age/lifestyle of many regional pilots has changed. Look at the pilot group at Mesaba, Air Wisconson, American Eagle, and Comair. I think you would find a higher average age and many pilots with families. Not at all your "typical" regional demographic.

I know I said I'd be done, but I read you apology and wanted to know I appreciated it. Also, the Tanqueray and Tonic is beginning to take effect and I have relaxed some :)

Last edited:
kmox29 said:
No airline has any respect for you or your family (well, maybe Southwest). I know a bunch of guys trying to get out (myself included). I would also say that the age/lifestyle of many regional pilots has changed. Look at the pilot group at Mesaba, Air Wisconson, American Eagle, and Comair. I think you would find a higher average age and many pilots with families. Not at all your "typical" regional demographic.

Who says a flying job has to be with an airline? There are plenty of corporate opportunities out there that will permit you to live wherever you choose, and even some will airliner you to work...

I know I said I'd be done, but I read you apology and wanted to know I appreciated it. Also, the Tanqueray and Tonic is beginning to take effect and I have relaxed some :)

So, um... wanna make out? :p

I_Love_Lamp said:
Not quite, skippy, but thanks for playing.

I just figure with how idiotic and egocentric you folk in general are that you'd be unable to get a girl, let alone score with one. Edit: not all pilots, just some of the ones that post on here and cryyyyyy but wipe their tears with their ERAU diploma and thank God mom is cooking pot roast for dinner.

Well at any rate, if your profile is anywhere close to accurate, you really have no idea what you are talking about.

Don't take it too hard, we all went through the stupid phase in our flying career.;)

I_Love_Lamp said:
Who says a flying job has to be with an airline? There are plenty of corporate opportunities out there that will permit you to live wherever you choose, and even some will airliner you to work...

Well, the thread started with an Airline Pilot article...so I was not going to hijack it into something else.

I_Love_Lamp said:
So, um... wanna make out? :p

Sorry...not enought Tanq in the world for that.

KeroseneSnorter said:
Well at any rate, if your profile is anywhere close to accurate, you really have no idea what you are talking about.

Or I've left out quite a few types of aircraft in lieu of ones that I have actually enjoyed flying all by my lonesome?

Don't take it too hard, we all went through the stupid phase in our flying career.;)

But you never outgrow immature, eh?

Latest resources

Back