• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

It's Official: USAirways Wants American

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Another reason to merge with American. "Cactus" will go bye bye. That alone is reason enough.

I wish they would have retired it with dignity, not on an aircraft flown with the name USAir on the side. Real shame hearing "Cactus" used by a pilot about to land a plane in Hudson. At least they didn't kill anybody.

I wish they would have retired it with dignity, not on an aircraft flown with the name USAir on the side. Real shame hearing "Cactus" used by a pilot about to land a plane in Hudson. At least they didn't kill anybody.

Too bad he didn't try pushing the thrust levers to TOGA! Hero my ASS

Too bad he didn't try pushing the thrust levers to TOGA! Hero my ASS
Yep to bad YOU weren't there to save the day. Jealous aren't we? Get a life.....And in the mean time open the books and LEARN how FADEC works..

DIGNITY?? Are you kidding. I still throw up in my mouth when I say "cactus"....Good riddance!!

Yep to bad YOU weren't there to save the day. Jealous aren't we? Get a life.....And in the mean time open the books and LEARN how FADEC works..

You mean the FADEC that keeps the aircraft flying at Green dot? When the aircraft is in a nose down attitude and airspeed is above green dot, the engines will remain at idle. Left engine was at idle all the way to the river. Toga would have been the first thing I tried. May or may not have worked. Who knows.

As far as being jealous. I am far from jealous of that scab. I watched him sit on the stand and testify what integrity means. He is worse than all the rest of you.

Abe did you do anything else in your life other than airline piloting? In the military I saw lots of wife cheating and worse. Not much integrity there. While on my 5 year furlough I tried selling real estate and you would be shocked at how many people breach contracts....not much integrity there. I own a biz where if I let my guard down my customer will steal from me and they always do so don't kid youself that we are better than everyone else in the world. I'm actually discusted that you guys are so happy and excited to upgrade before me or have me furloughed before you...I don't see the integrity in that. we agreed to arbitration thinking the process would have some integrity. That it would keep one side from getting a windfall like our great union at the time dictated. Do you really think putting a two month guy ahead of a 16 year guy is not a windfall ? We think that process had no integrity.

Do you really think putting a two month guy ahead of a 16 year guy is not a windfall ? We think that process had no integrity.
While it might be sad that the 16yr guy stuck around at the bottom of his list instead of moving to another airline where he might have hope of advancement, it's not a windfall. They were both equally junior, regardless of circumstance.

And don't let those stray dogs steal weinies off your pushcart!

You mean the FADEC that keeps the aircraft flying at Green dot? When the aircraft is in a nose down attitude and airspeed is above green dot, the engines will remain at idle. Left engine was at idle all the way to the river. Toga would have been the first thing I tried. May or may not have worked. Who knows.
What would have worked (prob'ly) is opening the APU bleed if you want to try a relight at that slow an airspeed (Sully had the presence to start the APU, just not to use it effectively). Of course, the engine will already try to restart itself, but it can't if it's not turning fast enough.

Or if it's already running...

OTOH, committing to a plan (in this case a forced water landing) and sticking to it is more likely to result in a successful outcome than dithering between two options and letting the altimeter and gravity make the choice for you.

So I say Kudos for pulling off a difficult task that might have not been necessary.

As far as being jealous. I am far from jealous of that scab. I watched him sit on the stand and testify what integrity means. He is worse than all the rest of you.

Its obvious you have NO CLUE of what a scab is. I've got an ALPA pin with a battle star on it. You know what the star is for? I've had REAL SCABS cross my picket line. How about you?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back