• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

It's Official: USAirways Wants American

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The jet hit the water in normal law with 3 good hyd systems, all buses powered(APU started)with the thrust levers in climb detent-never were pushed up to TOGA.

The ditching was with Flaps 2 while the ditching procedure mandates Flaps 3.
Well look for procedure changes. The new ditching config will now be 2, why, because IT WORKED!!
ps: it takes more than 3 powered buses and full hydraulics to make an AIRBUS fly...I believe those bulky round thingies bellow the wing need to be doing their part to.

The ditching was with Flaps 2 while the ditching procedure mandates Flaps 3.

The ditching switch was never depressed-another procedural bust that could have caused the jet to sink before the pax got off.

Although the checklist calls for selection of Flaps 3, it also assumes that ONLY the slats will actually extend. There is no guidance for what configuration to use if the flaps actually work. Obviously the pitch attitude will be lower when the flaps DO extend.

and from the NTSB report:

The captain’s decision to use flaps 2 for the ditching, based on his experience and perception of the situation, was reasonable and consistent with the limited civilian industry and military guidance that was available regarding forced landings of large aircraft without power.

As for "procedural bust", let's see you get through the whole checklist in a minute and a half. It made no difference either, since the aft pressure bulkhead was ruptured along with most of the skin on the belly and that's why the plane sank, not due to a piddly outflow valve. It is VERY bad form to to just push a button such as the ditch button without following the checklist in order. Do you know exactly what it does, what valves close? Are you 100% sure it wouldn't have an unintended consequence for the aircraft pressurization, or the engine operation, or your attempts to relight?

The biggest thing that gets me about you people (and you're all West people, to a man) is that the reason you try to pick on Sully is because he's East and you're angry he gets the spotlight. So you feel the need to knock him down. But in the process you are making yourselves look like idiots, suggesting doing things differently when your way is clearly wrong and possibly even dangerous. Sully and Skiles focused on what was important, flying the aircraft, developing and communicating a plan which ensured the highest probability of a successful outcome. Checklists were secondary but they did all they could reasonably do given the time constraints and they did follow the checklist correctly and in order. Really, give it up. Trying to pick them apart really makes you look childish and also ignorant. If I'm ever on your airplane, and there's an emergency, I sure hope you fly the emergency the way you trained and not the way your ego talks on the internet.

I'd like to see any Monday morning FI qback do a better job than what Sully & Skiles did. With a windshield full of river, I'm thinking it would change the outlook on checklists & ditching switches.

Everyone lived. Any woulda coulda shoulda is pure BS. It was a once in a generation event that ended successfully.

What's this got to do with American??
No updates??

What's this got to do with American??
No updates??

Not really. USAPA and APA have met and nobody knows what they talked about. I did read some analyst posit that the chances of the merger happening are around 90% but that the chances of an immediate deal are less than 25%.

The length of your post makes you appear a bit stressed and uptight. It just goes on and on.. like the white noise that broadcast on TV when the stations signed off at 10:00pm, back in the day. Oh never mind :lol:.

I'm sorry...perhaps I should have kept it in the TMZ format that you're use to. No real facts, just baseless sniping. Sorry, not my style.

Hey get2flyin I served with a lot of great people in the Marines and after getting passed over many times for O6 I finally took the hint and retired. My point was in all walks of life there are people with no integrity so calm down already! In my real estate experience it was mostly the buyers who breached the contract but yes I dealt with a few agents who were sketchy. I have flown with a few captains who are married but screw everything they see...if I drop my wallet I kick it to another terminal before bending over to pick it up. As for the junior east pilots you are so right. They should have left and walked in to a UAL, DAL, CAL, AMR class...wait a tick didn't they all have many furloughed pilots too?

Semper Fi, and a serious, no BS, "thank you for your service". There are indeed many who lack integrity. I choose not to be among those and abide by my agreements and obligations.

Everyone else: How does US Airway's desire to merge with AA possibly have anything to do with landing in the Hudson?

Everyone else: How does US Airway's desire to merge with AA possibly have anything to do with landing in the Hudson?

Ummm... maybe you should go back and read the thread, figure out who made the connection. Oh wait, it's you!

get2flyin said:
I wish they would have retired it with dignity, not on an aircraft flown with the name USAir on the side. Real shame hearing "Cactus" used by a pilot about to land a plane in Hudson. At least they didn't kill anybody.

Ummm... maybe you should go back and read the thread, figure out who made the connection. Oh wait, it's you!

Now that's funny right there!! He introduces the whole Hudson ditching issue in this thread, than later asks what is all the talk about the Hudson ditching doing in this thread... LMAO... :)

Latest resources

Back