It's Official: USAirways Wants American

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So I say Kudos for pulling off a difficult task

as do I- I support the west 100%, but do not believe disparaging Sullie bc of internal politics does any of us any favors. Everybody lived, and I'm still proud of that day.

Too bad he didn't try pushing the thrust levers to TOGA! Hero my ASS

Whoa, there... Sulley gave the entire profession a boost when he calmly handled the situation. I'm not saying I completely disagree with you but it's debatable what outcomes may have occurred if he had done things differently. On the PERSONAL side, I came face to face with him in SFO once. He completely avoided any eye contact with me and I couldn't help but wonder if it was because he thought I might be a West pilot or if it was because he just thinks he's somehow above EVERY pilot. In either case, after his sad little song and dance in front of Judge Wake, I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire.

DIGNITY?? Are you kidding. I still throw up in my mouth when I say "cactus"....Good riddance!!

Well, sport...we agree on that. I still throw up in my mouth a little when you say "Cactus", too.

Abe did you do anything else in your life other than airline piloting? In the military I saw lots of wife cheating and worse. Not much integrity there. While on my 5 year furlough I tried selling real estate and you would be shocked at how many people breach contracts....not much integrity there. I own a biz where if I let my guard down my customer will steal from me and they always do so don't kid youself that we are better than everyone else in the world. I'm actually discusted that you guys are so happy and excited to upgrade before me or have me furloughed before you...I don't see the integrity in that. we agreed to arbitration thinking the process would have some integrity. That it would keep one side from getting a windfall like our great union at the time dictated. Do you really think putting a two month guy ahead of a 16 year guy is not a windfall ? We think that process had no integrity.

Wow, you are really all over the place here, Chuckles. If I read this little diatribe right, you are suggesting that people in the military don't have much integrity. Hmm. Ah. OK. Then you go on to say people in real estate don't have integrity and somehow this seems to surprise you...which surprises me. Then you evidently CHOOSE to own a business in an unnamed industry surrounded by thieves so "(we) shouldn't shouldn't kid ourselves that we are better then everyone else in the world". Uh...what in the world??? Are you just cutting and pasting random sentences together or is..it.. You know what? Let me just tell you...nobody could make any sense of what message you were trying to share with your fellow pilots.

But the icing on the cake is you, a guy who brought nothing to the AWA/USAir merger because you were evidently furloughed at the time, is upset that a West pilot, EMPLOYED at the time of the merger, is going to upgrade before you? Or that you might get displaced on a "last in, first out" furloughing? News Flash: The fact Nic didn't invite you come back from your furlough and step into a West Captain position doesn't mean the award lacked integrity. Of course, the 2 month guy versus the 16 year guy argument was going to come up. On the surface it sounds so convincing! But after even the most casual glance at factual information, what you're suggesting is the bottom 1% of the East pilots have somehow EARNED a higher status then that of the bottom 2% of West pilots? Perhaps what you actually felt was that the bottom 1% of East pilots where ENTITLED to be senior to what, the bottom 75% of West pilots because those "glorified regional pilots" hadn't paid the dues that you "heroes of the industry" had. You guys and your definition of "integrity" or the supposed lack thereof. Do you every try to take a step back and listen to inane drivel some of you junior guys are spouting? I'm actually embarrassed to be associated with many of you.

And don't let those stray dogs steal weinies off your pushcart!

Good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read this. Ejecting liquid through one's nose at high speed is never pleasant.

Last edited:
Too bad he didn't try pushing the thrust levers to TOGA! Hero my ASS

Wow....great idea. You west guys have all the answers. Heck, they might have even made it to gate early in CLT if they had only pushed up em to TOGA. All the top secret information is only available on FI.COM!!! Call the FAA, NTSB, AIRBUS!!!! New procedure... Both engines foded out? Both flamed out? Both engines fallen off? No biggie just select TOGA and you are good to go!!!!

Whoa, there... Sulley gave the entire profession a boost when he calmly handled the situation. I'm not saying I completely disagree with you but it's debatable what outcomes may have occurred if he had done things differently. On the PERSONAL side, I came face to face with him in SFO once. He completely avoided any eye contact with me and I couldn't help but wonder if it was because he thought I might be a West pilot or if it was because he just thinks he's somehow above EVERY pilot. In either case, after his sad little song and dance in front of Judge Wake, I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire.

Well, sport...we agree on that. I still throw up in my mouth a little when you say "Cactus", too.

Wow, you are really all over the place here, Chuckles. If I read this little diatribe right, you are suggesting that people in the military don't have much integrity. Hmm. Ah. OK. Then you go on to say people in real estate don't have integrity and somehow this seems to surprise you...which surprises me. Then you evidently CHOOSE to own a business in an unnamed industry surrounded by thieves so "(we) shouldn't shouldn't kid ourselves that we are better then everyone else in the world". Uh...what in the world??? Are you just cutting and pasting random sentences together or is..it.. You know what? Let me just tell you...nobody could make any sense of what message you were trying to share with your fellow pilots.

But the icing on the cake is you, a guy who brought nothing to the AWA/USAir merger because you were evidently furloughed at the time, is upset that a West pilot, EMPLOYED at the time of the merger, is going to upgrade before you? Or that you might get displaced on a "last in, first out" furloughing? News Flash: The fact Nic didn't invite you come back from your furlough and step into a West Captain position doesn't mean the award lacked integrity. Of course, the 2 month guy versus the 16 year guy argument was going to come up. On the surface it sounds so convincing! But after even the most casual glance at factual information, what you're suggesting is the bottom 1% of the East pilots have somehow EARNED a higher status then that of the bottom 2% of West pilots? Perhaps what you actually felt was that the bottom 1% of East pilots where ENTITLED to be senior to what, the bottom 75% of West pilots because those "glorified regional pilots" hadn't paid the dues that you "heroes of the industry" had. You guys and your definition of "integrity" or the supposed lack thereof. Do you every try to take a step back and listen to inane drivel some of you junior guys are spouting? I'm actually embarrassed to be associated with many of you.

Good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read this. Ejecting liquid through one's nose at high speed is never pleasant.

The length of your post makes you appear a bit stressed and uptight. It just goes on and on.. like the white noise that broadcast on TV when the stations signed off at 10:00pm, back in the day. Oh never mind :lol:.

Hey get2flyin I served with a lot of great people in the Marines and after getting passed over many times for O6 I finally took the hint and retired. My point was in all walks of life there are people with no integrity so calm down already! In my real estate experience it was mostly the buyers who breached the contract but yes I dealt with a few agents who were sketchy. I have flown with a few captains who are married but screw everything they see...if I drop my wallet I kick it to another terminal before bending over to pick it up. As for the junior east pilots you are so right. They should have left and walked in to a UAL, DAL, CAL, AMR class...wait a tick didn't they all have many furloughed pilots too?

I'm not involved, but as a former commuter and regional pilot, I would have no problem telling you to ******************** off. We are airline pilots. And the best airline pilots come from the regionals and commuters as they have been doing the job from the beginning.

Oh no you didn't...

:rolleyes:

You mean the FADEC that keeps the aircraft flying at Green dot? When the aircraft is in a nose down attitude and airspeed is above green dot, the engines will remain at idle. Left engine was at idle all the way to the river. Toga would have been the first thing I tried. May or may not have worked. Who knows.

As far as being jealous. I am far from jealous of that scab. I watched him sit on the stand and testify what integrity means. He is worse than all the rest of you.

So that silly old NTSB report of massive structural damage to the engines caused by big Canada geese is wrong and you would have sparked those motors right up and continued to CLT? Come on Abe.

Love the armchair quarterbacking 3 years later.

New QRH procedure:

Step 1, toss the QRH out the window
Step 2, cowboy up.
Step 3, start flipping switches and stuff. Maybe it'll work, maybe not.

Incidentally, it wouldn't have worked. Left engine wasn't at idle, it was flamed out with no airflow through the combustor. The right engine was stalled due to loss of ALL the guide vanes disrupting airflow through the engine core. It was not possible for either engine to produce usable thrust. Do some reading people...

The jet hit the water in normal law with 3 good hyd systems, all buses powered(APU started)with the thrust levers in climb detent-never were pushed up to TOGA.

The ditching was with Flaps 2 while the ditching procedure mandates Flaps 3.

The ditching switch was never depressed-another procedural bust that could have caused the jet to sink before the pax got off.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back