• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

It's Official...The 717's are going to Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
uh, i did. There will be no 'bid right back to ATL'. There will be a master bid for all 10 bases, followed by an award based on system seniority. For many, that won't be ATL.

Ok, I see what your saying. I was just trying to throw in the positive that there will be a ATL base. So in the long run if you live in ATL you will be able to get back to ATL. :)

Ok, I see what your saying. I was just trying to throw in the positive that there will be a ATL base. So in the long run if you live in ATL you will be able to get back to ATL. :)
I appreciate optimism, it's really all we have to fall back on, just takes a bit of time to get there every time someone moves the cheese farther away again. We WERE getting there, but now we're not only back where we started, but with the added mistrust of wondering if they likely have been planning this from the beginning and all the assurances about the 717 were smoke and mirrors.

As I also stated in my earlier post on the subject, let's say there's staffing for 15 (optimistically) ATL RON aircraft. Southwest runs, let's say 10 crews per aircraft, give or take?

That's 150 Captains, 150 F/O's.

Now, let's look at our numbers. 20% of our pilots, roughly at last survey, live in or near ATL. Let's say that ONLY those pilots want ATL (not counting those who commute from nearby stations that would want ATL also). That's 350 pilots, 175 CA's and 175 F/O's if you split the numbers.

Then there's the OSW pilots who will want ATL and who, by and large, are senior to 80% of our pilots in each seat, especially the F/O's.

So, realistically speaking, if you look at real-life numbers of who an ATL base would help, you're talking MAYBE 7%-10% MAX of our pilots, assuming 25% of the ATL seats are taken by your senior pilots (I'm betting the number will be closer to 50% of the ATL slots taken by OSW pilots).

So yes, an ATL base would be all nice and good, but 90+% of our pilots see little if any benefit to that. You're right that it's good to look on the upside for the few it helps, but for the 50% of our CA's who just got further hammered and the rest who don't care about ATL one way or another, an ATL base isn't really a game-changer.

Last edited:
lear,
Your numbers are not close. Our smallest bases (MCO) have over 300 fo's and 300 captains. Atl will more likely be 400 plus on each side. With more overnighting aircraft. It will however start like DEN around 150 on each side and grow each month from there.

lear,
Your numbers are not close. Our smallest bases (MCO) have over 300 fo's and 300 captains. Atl will more likely be 400 plus on each side. With more overnighting aircraft. It will however start like DEN around 150 on each side and grow each month from there.
How many RON aircraft is that?

Latest resources

Back