• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

It's official, no deal now

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The NWA guys kept on talking about their career expectations over and over and over. Well guess what, 9/11 and Age 65 happened and career expectations across the board were altered... Things change in this industry - expectations don't always come to fruition.

The economy could tank even further with $120+ oil and all airline pilots could be adversely impacted. Do you think that could also impact career expectations? Some people need to be more realistic.

Pilots removed from the loop

I believe the merger is going to happen, and that the NWA pilots just shot themselves in the foot. Now mgmt can point the finger at "unions" as not having the best interest of the company in mind. I don't agree with that sentiment, however that is how it will be spun. I speculate DAL/NWA will announce a determination to pursue a merger to basically "save the employees from themselves". You don't captain an airliner by committee and I think it is obvious you don't merge companies by committee either. I can't believe Steenland and Anderson bet everything on a plan to herd cats.

Who knows, maybe by merging the new company would simply slow or stop hiring instead of both companies furloughing. I wouldn't be surprised if such an announcement came tomorrow with the conference.

Sounds like your trying to convince yourself that it would have been in NWA pilots best interests to take whatever the DAL MEC offered.........as if the DAL MEC is the enlightened father of airline pilots.

Sounds to me like NWA pilots are probably better off not merging with DAL as I'd bet the DAL MEC was more concerned with their interests than anyone elses.

Good job to the NWA MEC for not allowing yourselves to be owned by the interests of another MEC. Good chance down the road Delta could whack some junior pilots, so better off BEING Delta pilots in that instance. Should the merger have occured there almost CERTAINLY would've been pilot job losses and it would've been NWA pilots as the furlogh fodder with some pay raises perhaps for those who survived.

Sounds like a lousy deal for NWA pilots, so I think they dodged a major bullet.

Very good analysis. Lee Moak and the Delta MEC created an expectation gap so big that only their
own bloated egos could fill it. What do you expect from a guy who wears platform shoes to make himself look taller?

So let me get this straight, DAL ALPA came to the meeting unwilling to negotiate? Why was there even a meeting? They could have just faxed their proposal and said "here, we think we know what's best for everybody you don't know jack... take it or leave it."

It's the NWA pilots fault for not accepting the first and final proposal of DAL pilots? Are you kidding me? Talk about an unrealistic expectation, not negotiating a SLI.

I'm fine right here with advancement based on attrition (that IS still continuing despite age 65). Good luck with that advancement based on growth in this economic environment with massive short term debt due. Maybe we can try a SLI again in a few years when our new hires are Captains and yours are returning from furlough.

The reason NWA came back to DAL was because there is a new shark in town that may be interested in NWA---as already stated on FI----AMR. Yes, I have stated it would be impossible thanks to 3 hubs in a row (MSP-ORD-DTW), but maybe AMR had certain plans with one of the NWA hubs, and the NWALPA guys got wind of this and said "ummm, Delta, why don't you call us anymore? Don't you like us???" The DAL plan was a pretty good one, with very few jobs lost probably, vs American and their "fun" bargaining style, and almost a certainty of losing at least one Midwest hub (even if ANDY doesn't think so).

Bye Bye--General Lee

Sounds like your trying to convince yourself that it would have been in NWA pilots best interests to take whatever the DAL MEC offered.........as if the DAL MEC is the enlightened father of airline pilots.

Sounds to me like NWA pilots are probably better off not merging with DAL as I'd bet the DAL MEC was more concerned with their interests than anyone elses.

Good job to the NWA MEC for not allowing yourselves to be owned by the interests of another MEC. Good chance down the road Delta could whack some junior pilots, so better off BEING Delta pilots in that instance. Should the merger have occured there almost CERTAINLY would've been pilot job losses and it would've been NWA pilots as the furlogh fodder with some pay raises perhaps for those who survived.

Sounds like a lousy deal for NWA pilots, so I think they dodged a major bullet.

You and your EMJs are a major problem in this industry with high oil, and you might want to be looking for a NWA interview very soon. The 742 FE slot would be good for you in ANC. Go for it!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Very good analysis. Lee Moak and the Delta MEC created an expectation gap so big that only their
own bloated egos could fill it. What do you expect from a guy who wears platform shoes to make himself look taller?

good luck to you and your Northworst buddies.

So, Occam said you put a banana in your own pocket. Same difference.

As far as a deal with DL, it could happen anyway, and your original plan of not be prepared and acting nervous (of yourselves---10 observers for your own merger comittee)--will just point to an airbitrator (your plan all along), and you can blame him/her if it ends up relative seniority (it most likely will---look at USAir).

Looks like the NWA guys caught an "East Infection" from the Easties at USAir. Entitlement----what a bit$#.

Bye Bye--General Lee

....and you can blame him/her if it ends up relative seniority (it most likely will---look at USAir).

Looks like the NWA guys caught an "East Infection" from the Easties at USAir. Entitlement----what a bit$#.

Bye Bye--General Lee

GL,
Are you trying to say NWA is a failing company and being saved by the holier than thou DAL? Let me know how those near term debt payments are working out for you in this current environment.

Schwanker

GL,
Are you trying to say NWA is a failing company and being saved by the holier than thou DAL? Let me know how those near term debt payments are working out for you in this current environment.

Schwanker

No, I am not. I am saying your NWALPA people are idiots. What a great deal, and the distrust between your own group may have scuttled any deal or future deals with benefits thanks to your infighting. And, Entitlement is ridiculous in this day and age. The USAir Easties thought they deserved DOH thanks to all of their experience, and didn't get it. Your guys feel the same, and you still have a pension(you want it all, DOH and keeping your pension, plus our better work rules, pay raises, new bases etc----). Your career expectations are ridiculous, and things changed with age 65 and 9-11. Your future retirements are only guesswork, since you can't get anyone senior to "put it in writing" that they WILL go at age 60. It could have been a good deal, and your own MEC and merger comittee really screwed up.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back