• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

It now Official ASA will Shrink by 130 Jobs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Leave the name calling aside and face the facts. Yes, we are loosing some pilots every month, however if we don't swap out the CR7 for CR9 we will have a net lose of 13 a/c. The SLC CR7 drivers are going to have to bid back to ATL. Worst case scenerio, not enough guys leave and there will be furloughs. There is not an accurate way to forecast how many pilots will leave 3-5 months down the road. If 20 are leaving per month great, but that number is not in stone...

Last edited:
Freight Dog said:
Kooter, I don't have a dog in ASA's fight, but this level of thinking has me peeved.

You'd fly 20 more passengers for the same pathetic wage you're getting now? Don't you want a cut of that?

If the answer is yes, then you need to support your Negotiations Committee.

If the answer is no, I'd also strongly suggest applying to Skywest. They fly everything at 50 seat rates.

Let me show you this another way. Continental is the only legacy airline hiring right now, and I'm sure you'd love to get hired there.

They fly B737-700's, -800's, -900's. Those are what's called B737 Next Generation. Same training for all three. I think the -900 has an extra fan switch. Yet, look at the pay difference between the -700 which they classify as a small narrowbody and -800/-900 which they classify as a large narrowbody.

To sum it up, I think you're out of line pal.

BRAVO!!!! Very well said.

Good luck my ASA brothers.

I am asking because I don't know, not to prove a point.

The current agreement with Delta/ASA/Skywest? requires 80% of all Delta feeder flying to be performed by ASA. This has been pointed out numerous times by those saying that Skywest can't shrink/take ASA flying from ATL.

My question is this: Is Atkin smart enough to get around this agreement, and has this been his plan all along? No way he could hire/train 2000 pilots to fly ATL if we all walked, but what if he takes it 10-20 planes at a time? Once he has most/all of ATL flying he can advise his pilots of his need to lower pay by 20% or find another job.

Either ASA is bluffing, or we are shrinking, either way I will not vote for a contract that reduces our pay. At least I can say I didn't cave if they end up taking us out anyway!!

SuperKooter said:
So now what do you ALPAites have to say for yourselves. You are going make ASA shrink. 120-140 people will be out of work because you can't take the ALPA blinders off your overinflated heads.

There WILL be a paycut on the 70 or ASA WILL lose all of them and even more jobs.

Think about your actions and how it will affect people. A large amount of people may find themselves on the street because of your Lack of Common Sense.

I just hope that strike vote will be a weak showing. I will vote NO and I know many other people will also vote NO. If you lemmings do decide to "Burn The MUTHA DOWN" then JA will shrink ASA into nothingness as it probably should at least ALPA will be gone. ASA days are numbered and its because of the selfish MEC.

Hey i've got an Idea maybe you clowns can walk around like fool in your uniforms (with hat on of course) infront of the ASA building. Thats worked so will in the past.

Sounds like the ideal Mesa pilot! Grow a pair and fight for what you're worth and stop running scared, you are behaving like a child.

buscap said:
Mr. Tutt,

I am very proud to work for ASA. I want to work here and I will do all I can to make ASA the best in the business, but...the company must do their part and right now they are not.

We have put up with years of contract abuse and quality of life erosion without any good reason. The things the company does to violate our current contract don't even result in increased productivity. They only temporarily cover up problems created by administrative errors and failure to lead.

Obviously this contarct is not only about compensation and from what I have seen the quality of life improvements in the matched sections are abysmal. With this in mind and thanks to your letter, things are about to change.

Up until now I have been the Union's worst nightmare. I'm that idiot you've seen running upstairs to get the release. I'm that idiot doing 4 degree descents. I'm that idiot who taxis single engine. I'm that idiot who spent the winter not running the APU at Fuel Conservation stations. I'm that idiot on my cell phone, while resetting computers in the avionics bay. I'm that idiot who helps grandma off the plane. I'm that idiot who brings broken airplanes back to Atlanta when I could've broke it at the outstation. I'm that idiot on the radio doing other people's jobs. I'm that idiot who makes things run despite everyone else not caring.

I'm that idiot who takes pride in my job despite the continual contract abuses and contract erosion. I'm that idiot who didn't want to go on strike.

Well Mr. Tutt, thank you. Thank you for showing me what an idiot I am. And please rest assured, Mr. Tutt, knowing that I am much smarter now and will do my job in a much more intelligent manner.

Yours truly,
One of your Captains

Perfect!

DITTO!

Hey buscap,

Can I include your letter in the envelope that I send Charlie's letter back to him in?

I'd hate to have your eloquence put to waste!

atlcrjdriver said:
Leave the name calling aside and face the facts. Yes, we are loosing some pilots every month, however if we don't swap out the CR7 for CR9 we will have a net lose of 13 a/c. The SLC CR7 drivers are going to have to bid back to ATL. Worst case scenerio, not enough guys leave and there will be furloughs. There is not an accurate way to forecast how many pilots will leave 3-5 months down the road. If 20 are leaving per month great, but that number is not in stone...

Once again Junior. Fly your airplane and let them run the airline. Bryan and Charlie don't tell you how to fly do they? Better yet, ask your Captain to educate you on the airline industry. The 20 per month will continue. UAL is recalling along with DAL and SWA, CAL and FedEx are taking new hires.

With all that hiring going on, why are you still here? As I said not CT BL SH nor ALPA can accuratly forecast how many people are going to leave in the next 3-5 months. The only ones they know for sure are those reaching age 60, which isn't very many at this level.

Take some time and do some thinking for yourself. Don't take everyting that ALPA says as law, and don't believe that the company is always just trying to steal your kids milk money.

atlcrjdriver said:
With all that hiring going on, why are you still here? As I said not CT BL SH nor ALPA can accuratly forecast how many people are going to leave in the next 3-5 months. The only ones they know for sure are those reaching age 60, which isn't very many at this level.

Take some time and do some thinking for yourself. Don't take everyting that ALPA says as law, and don't believe that the company is always just trying to steal your kids milk money.

Junior, for someone that has just begun his airline career you don't know JACK! The truth is in the middle.

The age will change to 65 in Nov.

And I do not have to chase after bigger airplanes. When you finally grow up you will find the balance of work and your home life. Until then, your still behind me on the list.

And the part about thinking for yourself. I'm a professional. A professional pilot looks out for others, not just himself. If you want to work for peanuts, go to a lower caliber airline. I think Mesa is looking for Captains.

Well old timer, things have changed since the good old days of flying around that bandit and gas was .10 a gallon. We actually have to compete for flying these days.

Last I heard the vote was still out on the 65 issue, forgive me if I don't take your word for it. I'll wait for the official word from Fox News.

I do respect and look out for my fellow pilots, even the senior citizens like yourself. That is why I believe we must focus on the issues we can win and those that will keep us competative.

By the way how far are you from retirement?

Latest resources

Back