Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: I.A.

HawaiianAV8TR said:
I think the thought of selling a profitable part of your company is very suspicious. But those of us who know the Air Group, probably know that even though Island Air is about to be sold, there is definitely more to the story. Island Air along with the E.R. routes and cargo operations have been profitable the last 2 quarters. Another thing that was mentioned on Friday was that if Island Air becomes profitable Aloha will benefit. Chew on that one for awhile, you'll get even more confused.

How about this for a theory: Aloha sold Island Air so that it can expand as much as necessary because it wont be restricted by ALPA's scope. However, WP and Willis is still kinda controlled by Aloha because the operation is dictated by the code-share agreement. Aloha will use Island Air to provide the frequence and flexibility (and cost structure)that Hawaiian cannot match. In two years, Aloha and its feeder, Island Air, will control 80% of the interisland market. Hawaiian may continue to be in BK, and maybe even driven out. And since Aloha sold 100% of Island Air, technically it is a seperate airline, hence no monopoly problem. In other words, Aloha has just came to realize that Island Air need not only be a marketing amenity (like juice and movie, according to managment), but as a business tool to dominate the market.
(Disclaimer: Its just a factless prediction. I personally have no problem with HAL or its pilots, I sincerely do not wish chapter 7 on anybody)

Last edited:
A couple of things... apparently ALPA is reviewing the scope language as it may pertain to AQ code. As it is, there will most likely be a major grievance filed to prevent the company from allowing Island Air to use the AQ code on routes specified in our scope.

Secondly, we had a SWA jumpseater today who said there are "strong rumors around SWA" that they're buying Aloha.

In any case... this whole thing is baffling.

Freight Dog said:
Secondly, we had a SWA jumpseater today who said there are "strong rumors around SWA" that they're buying Aloha.

In any case... this whole thing is baffling. [/B]

I wouldnt bet any money on WN buying us. It could happen... I know stranger things have... The whole sale of Island Air (and lack of explanations) is stoking the WN buying AQ rumor this weekend.

I am giving our mgmt the benefit of the doubt, It could just be bad timing on WP's part announcing this early, or it was an intentional leak on WP's part. We will get the rest of the story soon I imagine. I hope im right.

In any case a lawsuit from ALPA blocking a codeshare without the existing scope protection may just scare away any potential suitors... If thats what this is all about but we dont know.. We should just wait and see what comes to light this week.

Worst case scenario being bought by WN would suck! (dont take it personal guys, most of us like being home in Hawaii every night) But I could think of worse things happening to us.

My flight school buddies would really be pissed at me if I got absorbed into Southwest. Most of them are nowhere near competitives for a Southwest groundschool. Thats the airline most of them want to work at, not me! Why cant southwest buy Mesa, fire the thugs running that airline and leave us in Hawaii alone?

I wouldn't give much thought about the WN buying AQ rumor.
Most likely started by a senior WN pilot who is sick of 4-5 legs a day and living on soda and peanuts and dreaming how nice it would be to fly a -700 to Hawaii, have a lay-over in Waikiki, and get a first class meal, cookies and milk when working.

no fly list

Hey dash,

No, not gonna bring the helmet in, unless you want to use it. By the way, i didnt know i had a "no fly list", lemme know where its posted so i can see who's on it.

T

SWA buy idea

makes sense, why would Aloha air group sell into a competitor, especially with some of the highest quarterly profits theyve EVER made? getting rid of WP was a condition of Aloha's sale, this idea may have been thrown out before, but if not ...chew on that for a while.

sounds like a form of union busting....

AQ sells off all of Island Air, AQ reduces the Inter-island flying on purpose, allows Island to fly it via code share,

Now the AQ pilots cannot grieve the matter, ie, scope.

AQ is reducing costs and allowing a lower paid pilot group fly the routes. By reducing their own flights and saving that expense of the pilots salaries.

whether AQ expands or not, they just cut the overhead, and still have control of the flying, the public has no idea, to them it is still an AQ ticket from A to B.

just a thought IMHO, no rebuttal intended

Dash,

I finally got the joke...didnt realize who you were at first, scared me for a minute. You need to change your alias.

haha.. yea i was wondering if you were gonna catch on since its been a while. i was thinking about the alias and if i should change it but decided to wait because i dont know if i should change it to AQDriver or SWADriver.. ;)

Krusty said:
sounds like a form of union busting....

AQ sells off all of Island Air, AQ reduces the Inter-island flying on purpose, allows Island to fly it via code share,

Now the AQ pilots cannot grieve the matter, ie, scope.

AQ is reducing costs and allowing a lower paid pilot group fly the routes. By reducing their own flights and saving that expense of the pilots salaries.

whether AQ expands or not, they just cut the overhead, and still have control of the flying, the public has no idea, to them it is still an AQ ticket from A to B.

Yep. Union meeting with the new owner today. When asked directly how much of the company the Ching's and Ing's owned, he waffled and said there were aspects of the deal that remain "confidential".

Also, take a look at Zander's statement to the press. To paraphrase, he said AQ had been looking to expand WP for a long time and selling it off was the best way to do it. Yeah, selling it back to themselves under another name. Couldn't believe the pilot group actually clapped at the end of the meeting. For every new pilot that gets hired at WP over the next few months, that's one less that will be hired across the street. Island Air...A.K.A Aloha B-scale. This purely looks like a scope weasil move to me.

As far as AQ selling to WN, the route maps sure match up nicely, but the move would be very un-Herb-like. At this point nothing would surprise me.

Can't wait for the other AQ shoe to drop!

Latest resources

Back