Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

IS the SOUTHWEST FURLOUGH RUMOR TRUE????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WARNING: Self-righteous poolie alert!!

you need to include this label with all of your posts. and for God's sake, have some self-respect.

jke406,
I am generally entertained by your posts usually because they aim to rile these poor kids. However, I was thinking the same thing exactly on this post. Spot on. Keep up the good work on KoolAid patrol.

I don't put any stock in this rumor. There are a number of steps that will be taken prior to any furloughs in a company of this size. In a smaller company or a sudden shock to the company's business, then yes, I could see hiring to furloughing.

One aspect that newhires need to be careful of is training float. That's all of the pilots in the various training centers at any given time. When the music stops and everyone's locked into their seats, the training classes disappear. Along with that, the training float is no longer necessary.
USAirways in 2000/2001 was a perfect example of that- they had a ton of seat movement and training events that reduced their line pilot head count. In order to offset that, they hired additional pilots to keep the airline going - training float. United, going into 911 had tapered off seat movements so that training float wasn't as significant as it would have been had they still been going gangbusters with hiring.
Southwest doesn't have as many training float issues, since they only have one aircraft. The only training events that Southwest has is left seat and right seat training, therefore not much training float.
This will be a much bigger issue at companies with multiple aircraft types and are actively hiring, such as Delta.
So training float is not a big vulnerability for Southwest.

For a company like Southwest, they'll scale back on overtime flying well before any furloughs. Also, they'll offer liberal leaves of absence before furloughs. And they will also offer opportunities to work in other areas of the company that are shorthanded, such as ramper jobs, etc.

But Southwest is also not bulletproof. I don't buy the argument that Southwest's traffic can't decrease significantly. It can. And Southwest can end up parking older aircraft, more than negating any new deliveries. But all of this takes some time; it won't happen overnight.
Perhaps Southwest is looking at downsizing plans that include the furlough option. I'd put more stock in that. It would be prudent for every company to evaluate the downside and plan properly for the recession.

HMMM 41 airplanes down!!! thats gotta cause a little bit of an alarm!!!!! Maybe the furlough is closer than expected!! gotta be alot of lost revenue too!!!!!

Once again your so called facts are wrong moron. They are all or almost all back flying. It was a 1-3 hour inspection. You are a real moron.

All the "SWA poolie" naysayers should do one of two things. Either name your "perfect choice" airline (and STFU), or quit wasting your time. You are not going to get the satisfaction of someone saying they are in the pool and you are right.

Got my notice....31 May 2016, I am broke up about it too!

HMMM 41 airplanes down!!! thats gotta cause a little bit of an alarm!!!!! Maybe the furlough is closer than expected!! gotta be alot of lost revenue too!!!!!

OK, now you're just acting like a troll. Unless damage is found, those 41 AC will be back flying no later than close of business today, possibly sooner.

As far as your comment concerning "shrinking growth" is concerned? You're insinuating that an airline, any airline, that is growing at a reduced rate (but still growing!!!) would somehow need to furlough.

That's not how it works.

Allow me to let you in on a little "secret" about rumors in the aviation industry:

None of them are true.

I've been flying professionally since 1995, and I can't think of a single rumor that came to pass. All the major, career altering stuff, both good and bad, is almost always a surprise.

Coming on an Internet bulletin board as juvenile as FI and asking people to confirm some "furlough rumor" displays a total lack of SA, which is why people have their hackles up. (That, and one must never speak poorly of Southwest Airlines.:p )

Nobody on this board knows and WN is the least likely carrier to send pilots packing. There's your answer.

What the heck is going on??? Heard from a buddy that SWA might furlough due to growth shrinking and the fallout from the maintenance issues?????

Certainly you cargo folks arent that removed from reality. Next time take a rumor, twist some common sense into it, and then see if it is worth opening you mouth and removing all doubt.

We are growing by a lesser amount = GROWTH = more pilots. MX issues cancelled 142 flights. All planes are back in service today.

Latest resources

Back