• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Is on demand cargo dead?

• Yes

Votes: 95 28.0%
  • No

Votes: 53 15.6%
  • It is slow, but will come back eventually.

Votes: 191 56.3%

• Total voters
Sounds just like 2002, "Oh there will never be any jobs again, this is thr end of any chance to make a living flying airplanes" "Woe is me" There is growing world wide shortage of pilots and the hiring boom is out there somewhere in the future.

That hiring boom is a fact. The accompanying sad fact is that it won't be an AMERICAN hiring boom flying AMERICAN equipment.

See also, American flagged Commerical Shipping.

The American Aviation Industry is heading the way of the American Merchant Marine.

Wong and Juan will do it cheaper than us.

That hiring boom is a fact. The accompanying sad fact is that it won't be an AMERICAN hiring boom flying AMERICAN equipment.

See also, American flagged Commerical Shipping.

The American Aviation Industry is heading the way of the American Merchant Marine.

Wong and Juan will do it cheaper than us.

Its hard for it to get any less than it is here. Actually a lot of people go overseas to get paid better than here.

The unfortunately reality is that foreign pilots probably have more to fear from Americans going over there to work for less, than Americans have to worry about them coming here.

Its hard for it to get any less than it is here. Actually a lot of people go overseas to get paid better than here.

The unfortunately reality is that foreign pilots probably have more to fear from Americans going over there to work for less, than Americans have to worry about them coming here.

Like many pilots, you're thinking only about pilots.

Pilots overseas get paid a bunch more than we do, ok that's a fact, generally speaking.

But the growth in aviation will be in India, China, and other developing countries, where the total payroll costs are much, much less.

Additionally, the companies are generally supported much better than American companies, and often are considered "national champion" companies deserving of significant .gov support, when they're not owned outright by the local .gov.

Someday, probably soon, cabotage will be traded away to foreigners for military sales or diplomatic support or some other "critical" need of the U.S.

If guys are still making a living flying on-demand, then it can not be dead, can it?

I don't know the exact numbers... but 8 out of 50 (it was 100 just 4 yrs ago) at USAJ are "making a living," and USAJ is trying to cause a feeding frenzy with the others to fight for contractor scraps.

FWIW, I always HOPE your optimism is right and things will CHANGE. I hope that USAJ isn't redefining how they do business in the future and creating a "D" scale. Only a pilot shortage when demand returns will end that.

Last edited:
Cargo ain't dead but it is definetly in hibernation like the rest of the economy. By the time the economy turns around and cargo picks back up I will be so far out of currency that I wouldn't stand a chance of getting a job, that be about a year from now.

Watch on-demand it will be the leading economic indicator of a recovering economy. When on-demand shows a steady increase in trip count, recovery has started. I have watched this for 12 years now, on-demand shows a slowing economy long before the rest of the country knows it. I saw in 2001 where were laying off in Mar 01.

Watch on-demand it will be the leading economic indicator of a recovering economy. When on-demand shows a steady increase in trip count, recovery has started. I have watched this for 12 years now, on-demand shows a slowing economy long before the rest of the country knows it. I saw in 2001 where were laying off in Mar 01.

I guess this one snuck up on you, though, since up to about six months ago you were telling anyone who would listen that USA Jet was the second coming of FedEx.

Hi!

Out of currency and no job? That's what I thought, but I didn't fly for 10 years and got back in, so it's possible.

cliff
GRB

oops wrong button

It was

I guess this one snuck up on you, though, since up to about six months ago you were telling anyone who would listen that USA Jet was the second coming of FedEx.
USA Jet was a good place to work in the on-demand busienss. We set the standard for pay, days off, training and benefits. A good place to build your skills for the next level of your career. There is long list of ex-USA Jet pilots who moved on to a career position after spending time at USA Jet. For those who did not want to or could not make the move; it was a place to make a decent living. I cherish the friendships made in my 12 years at USA Jet and if it was two years I would still be signing the "This is the next FedEx" song

Latest resources

Back