• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Is on demand cargo dead?

• Yes

Votes: 95 28.0%
  • No

Votes: 53 15.6%
  • It is slow, but will come back eventually.

Votes: 191 56.3%

• Total voters
dropped off in 1992, never came back to 1992 levels, dropped off in 2001, never came back to the 2001 levels, dropped off in 2008, is never going to come back to those levels. Look at how many on-demand companies have gone out of business.

dropped off in 1992, never came back to 1992 levels, dropped off in 2001, never came back to the 2001 levels, dropped off in 2008, is never going to come back to those levels. Look at how many on-demand companies have gone out of business.

Got your management hat off for a bit, huh?

The cycles you list seem to coincide with final assembly moving away from Dirtroit...

Yeah, there will always be some demand for on demand-at least until all manufacturing leaves the US or they rediscover the vertical model wherein one company stamps out all of the parts and spares...

I never did understand how it was cheaper to airfreight car parts. Some bean counter must have gotten fracking rich off that concept!

"Hey boss, we can make a gazzilion of them over here for $2M less..."

"Brilliant, Sphincter Boy. Here's your $100K bonus."

no mention of how much it will cost to move the parts from point A to point B...

Last edited:
I never did understand how it was cheaper to airfreight car parts. Some bean counter must have gotten fracking rich off that concept!"
If you have no left hand kuneton valves on hand and you shut down the assembly line at cost of $1M per hour, suddenly the the left handed what evers stuck in a Canadian snow storm being air delivered to you are cheaper than the line shut down cost. We love this midwest snow storm

But of course that doesn't explain the logistical model involved in requiring multiple
planeloads of gizmotrons to be charter shipped from Mexico to YIP during months of benign
weather....not that I'm complaining.
(and the way I've seen it, shipping volume hardly ever 'comes back' for the same
companies
)

if its dead, why is NAA converting 757s to combis?

But of course that doesn't explain the logistical model involved in requiring multiple
planeloads of gizmotrons to be charter shipped from Mexico to YIP during months of benign
weather....

It's the same (**ahem**) "logic" that the out-of-touch leaders of Detroit auto companies used when they hopped in their gas guzzling money pits and flew to Washington to ask for a hand out...

It's the same (**ahem**) "logic" that the out-of-touch leaders of Detroit auto companies used when they hopped in their gas guzzling money pits and flew to Washington to ask for a hand out...
My that certainly makes it all better; BTW these same out-of-touch leaders of Detroit auto companies at Ford have performed a miracle. And we being their charter manager we are glad to see it.

Latest resources

Back