• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is Kalitta still hiring?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Which plane seems to be more covetted in initial bidding, the 744 or 742? Are the trips a lot different on those planes? Is it tougher to be an FO on the classic due to the single crew flying up to 12 hours without augmented crew?

Godspeed!

OYS

Which plane seems to be more covetted in initial bidding, the 744 or 742? Are the trips a lot different on those planes? Is it tougher to be an FO on the classic due to the single crew flying up to 12 hours without augmented crew?

Godspeed!

OYS

No initial bidding. You get a call with a class date offer for one of the AC. You can accept or reject. 18 month equipment lock...then you can bid to the other AC if you want. Right now upgrade on the classic is less than a year (or rather, the junior guys going thru upgrade right now have been here less than a year). The 400 is easier flying in my opinion....3 guys rotating thru 2 seats on the flight, but looking at a longer upgrade.

How often do the trips begin/end in EWR? I commute in and out of there weekly for my current job, and always see a Kalitta bird or 3 parked there.

Would getting a job for Connie more or less eliminate my commuting?

How often do the trips begin/end in EWR? I commute in and out of there weekly for my current job, and always see a Kalitta bird or 3 parked there.

You will almost always start your trip in EWR or JFK especially if live out that way.

you'll never commute again, meaning Jumpseat on your time, regardless of where you start or finish.

Last edited:
:cool: I have finally been invited for an iterview next month at Kalitta. Would any one be kind enough to share their recent interview experience and some current gouge please?

Also, I have read every single thread on this forum and APC about Kalitta, but I still had a few questions if some of you current Kalitta guys wouldn't mind answering.

1) My only goal is to travel and see the world. I realize you guys can fly all over the planet, but are your layover cities pretty varied? In other words, do you guys normally have overnights other than Liege, Bahrain, HKG, and ANC? Will I ever have the opportunity to layover in Japan, Australia, India, Dubai, or ICN for example? Are the hotels relatively decent in most places? How long is a typical layover?

2) I understand that by being home based one's duty day starts at 0001Z on day 1 and has to report by 0500Z and done on day 17 by 1900Z. So let's say I live in ORD. Does that mean the earliest I can be made to DH out of ORD on day one is 1801? And I have to be back in ORD by 1759 on day 17? So essentially day 1 and 17 are travel days?

3) What are typical duty days like? I see in the contract, depending on the type of crew and domestic or intl, that one can be on duty at Kalitta for up to 26-30 hours:eek:. How often does that happen? Are duty days like that normal?

4) How does vacation bidding work? I know that years 1-4 you get 14 days. Is it possible that your vacation days can fall on scheduled days off and you only get the vacation pay and no additional time off? Am I correct to assume that you should bid a line that has flying over your vacation days, which means that you would then work 10 days and have the rest of the month off?

5) I know you guys are in contract negotiations. How are those going? What sort of changes are you guys looking for? Anything specific that you guys are really trying to change? I can only assume things will continue to improve.

I would greatly appreciate any addition info and insight. Thanks for the help.:beer:

Last edited:
You will definitely see dubai !!!

:cool: I have finally been invited for an iterview next month at Kalitta. Would any one be kind enough to share their recent interview experience and some current gouge please?

Also, I have read every single thread on this forum and APC about Kalitta, but I still had a few questions if some of you current Kalitta guys wouldn't mind answering.

1) My only goal is to travel and see the world. I realize you guys can fly all over the planet, but are your layover cities pretty varied? In other words, do you guys normally have overnights other than Liege, Bahrain, HKG, and ANC? Will I ever have the opportunity to layover in Japan, Australia, India, Dubai, or ICN for example? Are the hotels relatively decent in most places? How long is a typical layover?

The 400 is pretty consistent. We hit CVG, JFK, LEJ, BAH, HKG, DEL, ANC. Occasionally you will get something else...every once in awhile you will see a DXB or ICN layover. The classic is much more varied...going to South America more often, Africa, a little more flying in China as well it seems. Hotels are pretty nice for the most part....nicer when overseas. Some of our domestic hotels are just acceptable. Typical layover is anywhere from 12 hours to 4 days...IE, no such thing as typical!

2) I understand that by being home based one's duty day starts at 0001Z on day 1 and has to report by 0500Z and done on day 17 by 1900Z. So let's say I live in ORD. Does that mean the earliest I can be made to DH out of ORD on day one is 1801? And I have to be back in ORD by 1759 on day 17? So essentially day 1 and 17 are travel days?

Not sure where you get 1801 and 1759, but you have to be where they need you (CONUS) by 05z on your first day. If that means leaving before 00z then that is how it is. Living in ORD, you should not have too much trouble...go take a look at flights to JFK, EWR and CVG and you will get a sense of when you will need to leave. On the way home, you have to be CONUS by 19z OR home by 2359z. If either of these conditions are met they have complied with the contract and wont pay you for a day off. Example, (say you live on the west coast) get into JFK at 18z and the next flight available gets you home at 01z. You have met one of those conditions and the time it takes you to get home is considered a "commute".

3) What are typical duty days like? I see in the contract, depending on the type of crew and domestic or intl, that one can be on duty at Kalitta for up to 26-30 hours:eek:. How often does that happen? Are duty days like that normal?

I think for a 3 man crew on the 400 we are limited to 18 hours. Not sure what a 4 man crew is and not sure about the classic. I have not seen that long a day, but I know it happens. Had buddy on the classic do somewhere around 26 hours with a double crew I think.

4) How does vacation bidding work? I know that years 1-4 you get 14 days. Is it possible that your vacation days can fall on scheduled days off and you only get the vacation pay and no additional time off? Am I correct to assume that you should bid a line that has flying over your vacation days, which means that you would then work 10 days and have the rest of the month off?

Have not bid for vacation so not really sure, but I think you want to bid your monthly skd to overlap your vacation bid so you would get the whole month off. If you are not able to do that, I think you can cancel your vacation...but not positive about that.

5) I know you guys are in contract negotiations. How are those going? What sort of changes are you guys looking for? Anything specific that you guys are really trying to change? I can only assume things will continue to improve.

I will let the union guys discuss that...

I would greatly appreciate any addition info and insight. Thanks for the help.:beer:

Good luck...if you have the interview you pretty much have the job if you can keep the sim right side up!

Not sure where you get 1801 and 1759, but you have to be where they need you (CONUS) by 05z on your first day.

Thanks for all the info skypine. I live near ORD so I should have specified 1801 CST and 1759 CST. I was just thinking in terms of local time.

I am excited about this opportunity and hope it works out. If more of you Kalitta guys would chime in that would be great.

Latest resources

Back