• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is Delta recalling furloughed pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'll be happy to be the Flap Operator for 10 years on the 757/767, 737-800! I'll sign up when the door opens again!

Does anyone remember delta's minimums when they were hiring?

I'm not sure on total time, but I remember the 1000 PIC turbine being a "must have." In today's environment where the regionals were growing at such a rapid growth, I'm sure there'll be no shortage of qualified candidates.

Tomcat:

I am the last on the list to be recalled so I DO SPEAK FOR THE NEWHIRES!!! At least the first 1,000 or so... Even if nothing changes not another pilot is hired to cover growth but just to backfill retirements, I will be half way up the seniority list by 2017. Yes ten years in the right seat seems like a long time but sorry to tell you there is not a major that you will upgrade "fast" now. If you want to upgrade fast by all means Airtran, Frontier, Jet Blue, Southwest. If you still want heavy jets and international your going to be swinging gear for a few years.

I know its not as glamorus as your rj and overnights in XNA but to each there own.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't your longevity follow you? So when you go back, it will be a much better pay check over someone just starting. SWA upgrade is running about 6-7 years...not that quick, have no desire to work at Airtran OR the Blue! I do know that Continental has VERY fast upgrades coming. According to a senior jumpseater, they are going to have 375-400 retiring a year for the next 6-7 years. With all of the airplanes that they are getting, you could possibly upgrade in less than two years. Take that for what it worth! Good luck at Big D!!

Trying to predict upgrades at an airline is almost impossible. This industry is has ups and downs and it affects each airline differently. Delta was top of the heap in 2001 with the industry leading contract and upgrades to Captain at the Express operation at 18 months and NYC MD-88 mainline Captains at 4-5 years. Now in 2006 we are the goat. Not the bottom but we can see it from here. That's the one thing for sure if you're at the top there is only one way you can go. Everyone is predicting a large aircraft order with announcement of exiting BK. I hope they are right.

I'm not sure on total time, but I remember the 1000 PIC turbine being a "must have." In today's environment where the regionals were growing at such a rapid growth, I'm sure there'll be no shortage of qualified candidates.

The TT was pretty low, if I remember right. Something like 1500-2000 TT, 1000 PIC turbine, and a 4-year degree.

The TT was pretty low, if I remember right. Something like 1500-2000 TT, 1000 PIC turbine, and a 4-year degree.

Had a buddy that was on the interview list at Bid D, just before everything ground to a halt. He told me, at the time, that 2000 PIC turbine was competetive. Might be lower for MIL folks. And, of course, the internal recommendations make a huge difference.

wonder what the "upgrade time projection" was for TWA in 1994 or Pan Am in 1988?

my years might be off you my point is clear

FYI

Trying to predict upgrades at an airline is almost impossible. This industry is has ups and downs and it affects each airline differently. Delta was top of the heap in 2001 with the industry leading contract and upgrades to Captain at the Express operation at 18 months and NYC MD-88 mainline Captains at 4-5 years. Now in 2006 we are the goat. Not the bottom but we can see it from here. That's the one thing for sure if you're at the top there is only one way you can go. Everyone is predicting a large aircraft order with announcement of exiting BK. I hope they are right.

In some ways Delta might be at the bottom, along with NWA, at this exact moment. But time goes on.

As soon Delta emerges I expect furloughed AA to seek interview. You'll see. There will be some of those guys in new hire classes post BK.

But I do believe the furloughed AA guys should have started already at CAL. That would have provided the best opportunity to make Captain in the next 6 years.

Last edited:

1000 PIC turbine was not required when I was hired in '99.

FWIW, from what I remember seeing at the CPO the average new hire in 2001 was 35.5 years old and had 5,500 hours.

Latest resources

Back