• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is Delta recalling furloughed pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lets hope the creditors stick with our (management's) plan and exit on our own. Getting bogged down and distracted with a merger is not what this company needs.

If the creditors and management ultimately want a merger, lets hope its one that at least makes more sense (UAL or NWA) than this one. Too much overlap, no additional international worth speaking of, DOJ problems....c'mon.... maybe Parker is going insane.

Cal age 60 Retirements:
06-250
07-323
08-247
09-222
10-213
11-220
12-208

Not Quite 375-400, but alot of retirements especially next year.

The unknown part of the number is medical retirements, which at CAL have run higher than industry average for a while (not sure why, maybe Houston being one of the most unhealthy cities in America is a factor, and spending a career commuting to Newark probably ages you faster too). So the numbers above average about 240/year for age 60. Figure at least another 20% or so for medical-outs before reaching 60, or other early-outs, and you get a bit over 2000 retirements over the next 7 years. I would think 300/year would be a conservative average. Also, even if they pass age 65 as the new mandatory age, the medical evaluation process for those over 60 is likely to be even more difficult, and most likely the rate of medical retirements would increase above age 60, thus mitigating the delay of advancement for younger pilots.

Last edited:
Also, even if they pass age 65 as the new mandatory age, the medical evaluation process for those over 60 is likely to be even more difficult, and most likely the rate of medical retirements would increase above age 60, thus mitigating the delay of advancement for younger pilots.

my fear is that some over 60 pilot will sue to say he/she is being discriminated against because they have a tougher physical. Then the FAA will step in and require that we all take astronaut physicals. The number of pilots who get to fly to age 65 will be small compared to the number of pilots who get taken out before they even get to age 60.

Cal age 60 Retirements:
06-250
07-323
08-247
09-222
10-213
11-220
12-208

Not Quite 375-400, but alot of retirements especially next year.

All legacies are projecting similar numbers... Here at NWA the #s match CAL's exactly. 50% of the pilots at NWA are 50 or over. For the past 5 years, legacies have not hired until now... If I were looking for an airline with a quick upgrade, I would look at the legacies.

my fear is that some over 60 pilot will sue to say he/she is being discriminated against because they have a tougher physical. Then the FAA will step in and require that we all take astronaut physicals. The number of pilots who get to fly to age 65 will be small compared to the number of pilots who get taken out before they even get to age 60.

With that logic, everyone older than 35 ought to sue because they have to take an EKG and younger folks don't.

Latest resources

Back