Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is a pilot worth anything without a degree?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
fromunda said:
He has a degree from Riddle in Aeronautical Science. Don't let him fool you into thinking he has options outside of aviation. Without a medical, him and his useless degree would be mixing paint at the local Home Depot. "Can I get that in a semi-gloss, flyboy?"

close but wrong.

and ANY degree will put you above the guy with NO Degree and "aviation experience"

what part of this is confusing you? thats all this was about!

Nobody cares where you go to school and what your degree is in. But they sure care if you dont have one.

I would not have gotten any aviation job I have had that paid over 100K without a degree....and Im younger than Captain Mark. And yeah, I topped your 131K last year sitting on my a$$...if ya really want to know....whatever. That 130K you brag about is very middle class these days, hustler.

My stupid little degree was certainly worth it. I dont have to extend myself and gamble on the real estate market to make up for the salary I cant make in aviation becuase of lack of basic qualifications. Im lazy that way. The funny part is you dont seem to get you have proved our point -- that you are severely limiting yourself with no degree. You have to seek other ways to make ends meet. you cant do it flying planes. Lose that 90K and I really hope you can flip lots of houses and hope for an eternal 20% real estate market! uh-huh.

Please enlighten us as to who you fly for that pays you this 90K?
where ya going from there? nowhere. My guess is you are late 40s, 100% maxed out at some $hitbag regional, adding your perdiem twinkee money into that figure, and have never gotten that call over the years from UPS/FEDEX/DAL etc...and are dumbfounded as to WHY?

anyhow, I hope that real estate things keeps growing at 20% a year, because with your qualifications you're gonna need more than those two jobs if (when) aviation throws you a curve.

but you're cool with that, we know. Youre a survivor. Nothing wrong with that.

goddam this is old.

Last edited:
Capt Mark no doubt about your being bud being the smart one he doesn't fly airplanes for a living. That is something we can agree upon!

pilotyip said:
Capt Mark no doubt about your being bud being the smart one he doesn't fly airplanes for a living. That is something we can agree upon!

100% right on there!

now, wheres the next moron pilot who says "its not about the money".

:rolleyes:

sluminginpit said:
PS G200 Think I could get one of those Cobalts, Id have to trade my Master Craft though.

MasterCraft (one word)

most owners know this though. Its all over the boat and the trailer.

:erm:

For starters G200 you have a major anger managment issue!

Wrong on the age only 34, but what does my age matter?

Why do you feel I would fail in life if I was out of the cockpit? My point is there are ways to make money and be successful without a degree. I don't do real estate because I need the money, I live fine on what I make! I do it because I like to and it has worked for me. Why is this wrong in your opinion?

You like flying and feel it works for you and thats great, but layoff the fact you think your high and mighty over me because my lack of degree! Do I regret not getting one, sure. Would I get one now for aviation, no. Could I afford to live in your neighborhood and drive the same car as you, probally, and all without a degree.

This career continues to be a major disapointment to many in it! You know as well as I do that a degree helps but is not a catch all. There are plenty of good jobs you can get without one.

sluminginpit said:

Why do you feel I would fail in life if I was out of the cockpit? My point is there are ways to make money and be successful without a degree. I don't do real estate because I need the money, I live fine on what I make! I do it because I like to and it has worked for me. Why is this wrong in your opinion?

You like flying and feel it works for you and thats great, but layoff the fact you think your high and mighty over me because my lack of degree! Do I regret not getting one, sure. Would I get one now for aviation, no. Could I afford to live in your neighborhood and drive the same car as you, probally, and all without a degree.

This career continues to be a major disapointment to many in it! You know as well as I do that a degree helps but is not a catch all. There are plenty of good jobs you can get without one.

I agree, the degree is not a catch all...my only point was it limits you very much...and anyone starting in this field today would be crazy to not get it done - right away. I would kick myself in the ass if I could not appy to Capt Marks 225K/yr job because I couldnt check the stupid box. I dont think a degree makes one fly any better...but dont enter the game without the right tools.

I cant agree on the good jobs without one though. At one time you could make a good living in a factory or as a tradesman. $25/hr just does not cut it anymore IMHO....and factory jobs, well we dont need to know where thats going (ZSPD)

and no, no anger issues man. I dont get angry, I just like to argue. Its a law school thing...

be well

G200

Last edited:
pilotyip said:

well he has tons of dough and property etc...but he has hi blood pressure and says he would give it all up to do what i do..aviation was his first love...i say he was the smart one..but maybe we were...i hope i never have to do the 9-5 thing..that would suck...but pilotyip....we can agree on a lot more things..i just like arguing with you....otherwise this website would be to boring....no go unload that falcon...

sluminginpit said:

Sluming...There are a lot of us here without degrees, flying and having a great life. Don't let these guys ruin your day.

Actually Capt Mark my Falcon auto loads, I open the door and say "What time will you be back sir" and then the cargo unloads. I open the door about the time the "Sir" guy said he would be back and the cargo then loads itself again. This cargo only likes to fly during the in daytime on weekdays. It is the fastest growing portion of our business.

sluminginpit said:
what you would do if you lost your flying job? What is your degree in? Do you think you would be able to find a job easily becasue of your degree?

1. If I lost my flying job beacuse of any reason not of my own, I'll find another. Beech 99, Beech 1900, Shorts...whatever. I'm picky, but not too picky and as long as boxes need moving, I'm probably vouchsafed in the regional freight industry. Yadda, yadda, yadda, somebody has to be the ditch digger of aviation, it might as well be me, at least I won't miss a car payment.

2. Why wait until you lose a job, before working your degree to your advantage. I got 8 more classes to go and I'm looking for something to do on my own, related to my degree, to do while I have flying job.

Latest resources

Back