Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is a pilot worth anything without a degree?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
we have a lot of guys that got hired with no military,,and yes u can't get a job here without knowing anyone..of course i did...everyone does..nowadays u have to know at least 3 pilots and have a degree...most of my buds here are all civilian...gotto go..later...

Posted without comment

This a quote from the requirements section of a job offering to fly Abbott Labs G-IV.

Education Requirements: Bachelors Degree. Preferred Education: Masters Degree.

GV

Capt Mark don't worry about going back to school you can do it on-line at one of those pay your fee get your B places. I know my masters gave me point towards getting selected for Captain.

Hey yip,

just turned 25.... 4500 TT, 3000 ME, 2500 jet, 1100 jet PIC.

Bachelor's degree finished in May 2003- non aviation degree, graduated college with 1700 hours from instructing and flying charter.

Working on shoving my foot in the door at a certain large freight carrier...

Argument about getting alot more flying time if you just fly and don't get the degree doesn't really hold up, right?

Good for You

Good for you peanut, you are an exception. My age 25 example is one year away from finishing his degree and has close to the same flight and no debt. Plus the company has been paying for a lot of his schooling. But best of luck to you, there are many ways to skin a cat.

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
Good for you peanut, you are an exception. My age 25 example is one year away from finishing his degree and has close to the same flight and no debt. Plus the company has been paying for a lot of his schooling. But best of luck to you, there are many ways to skin a cat.

looks like today you need that degree to make some big money more than ever...otherwise ..yes..you can be happy flying airplanes for a lot less...just not me...

Capt Mark go back to your 250 hours a year flying and let the real world eat it self alive, while living on poverty wages of $100K per year.

pilotyip said:
Capt Mark go back to your 250 hours a year flying and let the real world eat it self alive, while living on poverty wages of $100K per year.

i would say most pilots out there are not even making 100k a year....i hope it changes because that is a disgrace to the profession...my lawnboy makes 100k cutting yards...

I just realize that I'm a total looser reading those 8 pages at this time of night, discussing absolutely nothing. And now I even feel compelled to give my 2 cents worth in this thread. Sad indeed.:bawling: Just can't help my self.

I completely agree with G200 and Capt.Mark. It would have been nice to some if their replies were formulated differently.:blush: Both of them are trying to get across a point and that is that an aspiring pilot can do better in today’s aviation job market by obtaining at the minimum a 4-year degree.

Capt.Mark & G200 are not saying that pilots without degrees are in any way less of a pilot or human being for that matter. A degree does not make you fly any better. However, it CAN open more doors for a pilot in the future IF the pilot in question chooses to do so and has met all of the other requirements the hiring corporation has set for new hires.

In order to get a flying job, you don't necessarily need to obtain a 4-year degree. As a matter of fact, it is very possible to get a rewarding flying job without one. But for the pilots that have always dreamed of flying for a major airline like FedEx for example, not having obtained that 4-year degree will disqualify you for even being able to obtain an interview let alone get hired. Keep on dreaming.

If flying for FedEx or the like is not your cup of tea, then that's fine. I'm sure you can be very happy not flying for FedEx. It is also fine to make less money if you so desire. Also nothing wrong with that. Just be happy!

Just don't tell young new pilots not to finish a degree they have been working on or aspiring pilots not to bother getting a degree just because you are happy with your current situation as far as your employment is concerned or life. Instead encourage them to go get that degree because it MIGHT make them more marketable in the future and MIGHT open some big doors for them in the future that would otherwise be closed.

If you cannot obtain a degree because you lack the funds or for whatever reason, you can still be a successful pilot with a rewarding career, no doubt about it in my humble opinion. Try and get a degree online if you can and wish to open that door that is now closed.

Cheers :beer: ,

Alex

PS: Read this excellent article about College and Why you should go in AOPA's Online Magazine. http://www.aopa.org/learntofly/startfly/whycollege.html
Just scratch out the word Aviation in Aviation College.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back