Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Interesting option for over 60 guys (not a flamebait post!)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ace. I was 66 when the debate heated up so I didn't have a dog in the fight. As I pointed out, retiring at 60 created several issues not the least of which was Social Security and Medicare. A phase in of the retirement age would have been fair. Was it proposed? Reducing the retirement age to 55 would have probably been super for you but then again you'ed have some upset pilots. As Rez says, things in life (aviation) change. In 10 years no one will give the age 60 issue a second thought. As far as the change being a financial hardship for you, I venture so say that your employment agreement with whomever you work doesn't guarantee a job much less financial reward. Save your mone, hope your company doesn't go T/U in the future and you will reap the rewards. Regards, A4

Next day, too old to fly them home.(on paper) 60 is not OLD anymore

No, wrong, 60 is still 60. It's not the new 40 or the new 45 or the new 50 or the new 55...

Baby-Boomers, the generation that got it all; the best of everything post WWII America had to offer (opportunity, freedom, mobility, money, sexual revolution, security, etc.), and they're deathly afraid of having to relenquish control of any of those items. They've gotten it their way so long they've lost perspective on the rest of humanity (or more specifically, the generations which are having to follow after them).

They got to live in a society so rich in everything that you could screw up royally, move away to somewhere else, re-invent yourself and still come out smelling like a rose. They "got theirs" in spades and now they can't/won't let go.

To me nothing is more repugnent than a baby boomer using the term "the me generation" to describe any other generation.

Last edited:
Go to India for a while. Make some GOOD coin. Commuting on most contracts. HAVE FUN and do something different.

The big rule change though was a lot of guys getting their pensions flushed.

So somehow the generation of people who questioned and never trusted authority were stupid enough to believe that this promise from authority would be there for them? Seems like irresponsibility is to blame more than bad luck.

So somehow the generation of people who questioned and never trusted authority were stupid enough to believe that this promise from authority would be there for them?

Sort of like how you believed this promise form authority that age 60 would be around forever?

Latest resources

Back