Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Interesting option for over 60 guys (not a flamebait post!)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AlbieF15

F15 Ret/FDX/InterviewPrep
Got a call this week from a retired captain who on whim threw out a couple of apps at the urging of his closest buddies...(and probably his wife who was tired of being chased around the house 30 days a month...)

Bottom line is the guy got a call for interviews at an LCC and a Legacy within a month.

As a freight dog--if I had enough money squirreled away to work for a hometown LCC or a legacy that could let momma bounce over to Europe on days the loads were light--I could see the appeal. Not for everyone, and I am not here to debate pros/cons of over 60...but it is an option for some.

Also got pireps the rumors of over 60 guys at SWA re-interview has some validity.So--you may have a 63 year old in the FO seat here in a short while. For a guy who was doing it for fun and/or lifestyle...I could see the appeal.

Anyway--for old you old farts (said with affection) that want to keep playing--you may have an option. I'll keep the details off the boards but if you are interested in learning more send me a PM.

Why not, keeps FO wages down from the companies perspective.

Good post Albie, I would like to hear what the guys who are over 60 have to say about why they want to go back to work. Unfortunately, I don't think many of them read this forum. I know my grandfather is in his 60's and him reading a forum on line is a little past his time.

Sabergirl. Let me give you a couple of reasons. Fly 350 folks on you're last flight LAX to AUK. Next day, too old to fly them home.(on paper) 60 is not OLD anymore. Can't collect Social Security until your 62 at the minimum. Don't Qualify for Medicare. Health insurance is expensive. Your airline goes TU and your pension that you had planned on is cut by 67%. PBGC reduces your benefits cause you didn't work till you were 65. You can only play so much golf. You actually LIKE to fly. I don't blame any of the younger crowd for being anti-60+. Like so many other things , it's hard to understand unless you are at that point in life and have the issue facing YOU. I have continued to fly (for pay )for over 6 years since my forced retirement. Passed 12 sim checks and 12 physicals during this time. PS. I'm older than your grandfather and can still read and type on a fourm. Bet he could too if there was anything interesting to read. Regards, A4

A4, thanks for the insight, it stinks that all that stuff has happened in this industry. I am not anti age 60, I think that people stay sharp and physically able to fly for much longer than age 60, I just think I would rather be relaxing than flying. I guess its good to be passionate, congrats on still flying, I wish you the best!

Sabergirl. Let me give you a couple of reasons. Fly 350 folks on you're last flight LAX to AUK. Next day, too old to fly them home.(on paper) 60 is not OLD anymore. Can't collect Social Security until your 62 at the minimum. Don't Qualify for Medicare. Health insurance is expensive. Your airline goes TU and your pension that you had planned on is cut by 67%. PBGC reduces your benefits cause you didn't work till you were 65. You can only play so much golf. You actually LIKE to fly. I don't blame any of the younger crowd for being anti-60+. Like so many other things , it's hard to understand unless you are at that point in life and have the issue facing YOU. I have continued to fly (for pay )for over 6 years since my forced retirement. Passed 12 sim checks and 12 physicals during this time. PS. I'm older than your grandfather and can still read and type on a fourm. Bet he could too if there was anything interesting to read. Regards, A4

Like the Civil War, this debate will be hashed out, forever.

Jettisoning 60 was bad for the vast majority of aviators. There is no way around it.

Jettisoning 60 was fundamentially UNFAIR for the vast majority of aviators. I notice that none of the Age 60 jihadis were willing to accept a five year phase in of 65, starting in five years. Nope, they wanted their cake, and they wanted to eat it too.

Jettisoning 60 is another nail in coffin of the profession of aviator. One of the only levers of economic leverage that we possess as a profession is the slow decrease in the numbers of people willing to do the job. This would eventually have the effect of raising pay and preferment. By expanding the pool of aviators, we create our own downward pressure on wages, which with losses of straight wages, A plans, work rules, etc. have been plummenting.

The issue facing me isn't the fact of liking to fly or not.

The issue is if I can continue to justify its costs to myself and my family. My bitterness isn't that the .gov or the companies did this, but it was my fellow aviators, interested only in their short-term, narrow interest.

I'm sorry, A4, but I can't think of much positive to say about your generation's impact on the profession of aviator.

Nor can we say much about the greed of your generation. Just kick the old guys out and give me mine right?

Greed?

Wait a minute...so you are stating that changing the rules of game midstream, after you've benefited from those same rules, is greed on MY PART? If one captain retired from, in your case, AirTran, you have directly benefited from Age 60. Of course, you don't want to share that wealth.

That is cognitive dissonance of the first order.

At least A4 was honest...a series of misfortunes drove his support for repeal of Age 60. Not a compelling argument IHMO, because such misfortune has been the lot of aviators since day 1, and especially since deregulation. But, since he's a delicate and unique snowflake, we need to change the entire framework and career progression of thousands of current and potential aviators, to fix his poor retirement planning and need to fly for self affirmation.

To think that changes over decades were not going to happen is niave.

It is too bad that many people (pilots) are going apathetic and melancholy over changes..

Guess what... Life happens.... and it isn't fair...

So your grandpa and your pa and you worked in the same factory...until your job got shipped overseas... get retrained and get on with life....
the point...

This profession is still good... it can be a great one if we get involved and makes sure we have protections as the changes are made...

Watch out.... here comes Open Skies...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back