Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Interesting option for over 60 guys (not a flamebait post!)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The big rule change though was a lot of guys getting their pensions flushed.

Tell that to an Eastern, TWA, Pan AM, or National guy.

They got their pensions, and COMPANY flushed, usually at the behest, or at least benefit, of their "brothers," who then saw fit to change Age 60 when their 30 year long position went south.

What egotism.

..and you just sat back and let it happen...

Nope, ALPA's fecklessness and the self-serving nature of a few created the conditions that allowed the rule to be changed.

Its one thing that management would conspire to destroy my negotiating leverage...its completely another that some WN pilots and would come in and do the same...and then tell me that somehow, its "in my benefit."

I'm sure all the guys that prostituted themselves for Frank Lorenzo justified their actions by pretzel logic, too.

Nope, ALPA's fecklessness and the self-serving nature of a few created the conditions that allowed the rule to be changed.

From Flying the Line, Vol. 1, page 227:

Inevitably, a new generation arrived made up of pilots less steeped in the past struggles and more content about the professional status ALPA had created for them. The new generation was also increasingly indifferent to ALPA and its administration. Pioneer pilots, by and large, paid close attention to ALPA affairs, and they couldn’t understand the lackadaisical attitude of the younger pilots, partically when it came to governance at the local level. By the late 1950s, many pilots simply took for granted that somebody else would do the hard work needed to sustain ALPA. While complacent pilots golfed or pursued second careers, a minority ran ALPA’s local affairs on each airline.

Although most of these individuals were dedicated to making ALPA work, on some airlines a few pilots used ALPA as a gimmick for personal aggrandizement. The indifference of the rank and file and the poor attendance at local council meetings meant that a minority on any airline could, with proper planning, seize control and eventually dominate the master executive council (MEC) itself. The danger was that a well-organized clique could speak for an indifferent majority of pilots.

Latest resources

Back