• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Interesting Colgan transcript tidbits

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Both you and SEVEN are totally missing the point. Why were these pilots in this cockpit in the first place?

You know why I would never put my loved ones on a regional airline? Because of the lack of pay and poor quality of life that these pilots are faced with.

I know what its like to be overworked and underpaid. You make basic, silly mistakes. If you say that you would never make a basic mistake while fatigued you have never been fatigued.

I can't understand how other pilots who are working in terrible conditions can hang other pilots out to dry who were forced to work in terrible conditions.

No one has even mentioned that the SIC was suffering from some kind of inner ear condition. Way to stand up for each other guys.

Again I am ashamed to be a pilot. No safety improvements will come from these 50 deaths that you both seem so concerned about until the FAA addresses low pilot pay and fatigue.

The industry is what it is.....and everyone one of us knows what we are getting into. There needs to be significant improvements across the board. We all know this.

However, low pay, poor work rules, weak managment did not make or force these pilots violate sterile cockpit, lose complete situational awareness, and stall the plane.

We can come up with all the excuses in the world for the crew but in the end, it wasn't the poor state of the industry that killed 50 people - it was two operators letting the airplane stall and die.

Bushwickbill, take care and fly safe.

I can't understand how other pilots who are working in terrible conditions can hang other pilots out to dry who were forced to work in terrible conditions.
Apparently the conditions which you speak of aren't so terrible. They accepted the job, right? Who twisted their arm? Are they restricted to only working inside a cockpit? I don't buy this "But you don't understand...they're FORCING me to do this!"

That's a bullsh-t, cop out excuse...and it indicates a WEAK pilot.

Stand up for yourselves, you might save alot of people.

No one has even mentioned that the SIC was suffering from some kind of inner ear condition. Way to stand up for each other guys.
And that's HER responsibility to address. Not her coworkers...not the company. Poor decisions were made, but you get what you pay for, right?

Funny thread.

These kinds of pilots don't think about responsibility, they're just happy to have a job that they know they have no skills or business having. This is nothing new, the hiring of terribly unqualified and inexperienced pilots to sit in the cockpit and hopefully get the job the done.....is the airline way here in America.

The airlines and the unions crashed that plane. The pilots were just the puppets in all of this.

The airlines and the unions crashed that plane. The pilots were just the puppets in all of this.

You're a moron... the union had zero to do with this crash since the union wasn't in effect during the accident time period.

I do agree with your assertion on the airlines. However to blame the union in any way is pure ignorance.

Marvin seems to stutter a lot in the CVR. Is this the way he speaks (hesitantly) or was he enamoured with the female?

Yeah, reading the CVR was very disturbing. Neither sounded like they had their "A" game on. If that what's going on at the regionals its a surprise there's not more accidents.

To me the most disturbing is this:

22:16:37.1
HOT-2
I put the flaps up.

Anybody know if that's normal shaker recovery for the Q? CVR didn't record Marvin asking for that, just wondering.

To me the most disturbing is this:

22:16:37.1
HOT-2
I put the flaps up.

Anybody know if that's normal shaker recovery for the Q? CVR didn't record Marvin asking for that, just wondering.

I noticed that too. Pretty screwed up.

The problem with paying pilots so little is...you get what you pay for. It's a calculated risk the regional airlines are obviously willing to take.

Bottom Line: Both pilots were WAY out of their league flying this aircraft. The only question is: Why were they there in the first place? Lot's of changes to come at Colgan Air. This can't happen again. A total lack of experience, maturity, and professionalism in that aircraft that day. Sad to see all the family members affected by this needless crash.

It's not the first, nor will it be the last. Anyone remember the Eagle J32 about fifteen years ago that crashed on approach because the captain thought (erroneously) he lost an engine and became too distracted? The one that spawned the Pilot Records Improvement Act? In hindsight that captain was an accident waiting to happen. This is life at the regionals. The training, schedules, work rules, and management all suck and will never improve even when the spotlight is shown upon them. Congress, with all their righteous indignation, will pass more symbolic legislation that will have absolutely no effect on the problems. The media will trumpet it and then run to chase the next ambulance. And the beat goes on....

P.S. Former regional dude, here.

The problem with paying pilots so little is...you get what you pay for. It's a calculated risk the regional airlines are obviously willing to take.

Someone finally said what's probably on the tip of most peoples tongue.

Fact is, while they were hiring 1000 hour girls at Colgan, there were 1000s' of out of work 5000+ hour pilots with all kinds of experience... but would they work for $18/hr? not likely.

Latest resources

Back