• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Browntothebone

HOT-1
no but uh out of that six and a quarter two hundred fifty hours was uh part
one twenty one turbine. multi engine turbine.

HOT-2
yeah that's another thing. all the guys— @ came in to our when we
interviewed and he said oh yeah you'll all be upgraded in six months into
the Saab and blah ba blah ba blah and I'm thinking you know what. flying
in the northeast I've sixteen hundred hours. all of that in Phoenix how
much time do you think actual I had or any in in ice. I had more actual
time on my first day of IOE than I did in the sixteen hundred hours I had
when I came here.

HOT-2
no but all these guys are complaining they're saying you know how we
were supposed to upgrade by now and they're complaining
I'm thinking
you know what? I really wouldn't mind going through a a winter in the
northeast before I have to upgrade to captain.

HOT-2
I've never seen icing conditions. I've never deiced. I've never seen any—
I've never experienced any of that. I don't want to have to experience that
and make those kinds of calls. you know I'dve freaked out. I'dve have like
seen this much ice and thought oh my gosh we were going to crash.

HOT-2
I've never seen icing conditions. I've never deiced. I've never seen any—
I've never experienced any of that. I don't want to have to experience that
and make those kinds of calls. you know I'dve freaked out. I'dve have like
seen this much ice and thought oh my gosh we were going to crash.

The only thing I can say in defense of what she said is that most people could say the same thing coming from a background of instructing. Who instructs in a Cessna or Seminole in the snow and ice? I had 1500 hours with a 1000 instructing before getting into a 1900. Coincidentally, my first day of IOE ended with blowing snow down to mins in HPN. She also stated that she was happy to see a winter of ops before a possible upgrade. His part of the conversations... well, I didn't pay for the right seat in the 1900 I flew, I'll stop right there...

Bottom Line: Both pilots were WAY out of their league flying this aircraft. The only question is: Why were they there in the first place? Lot's of changes to come at Colgan Air. This can't happen again. A total lack of experience, maturity, and professionalism in that aircraft that day. Sad to see all the family members affected by this needless crash.

Now hang on a second. These pilots are being hung out to dry. The sad thing is there will be no increase in safety to come out of this crash investigation if this is the direction the investigation continues in.

Right now I am ashamed to be a pilot. Mostly because of the opinions expressed by other pilots.

No one has mentioned the pay scale of these pilots and the quality of life that comes with it.

No one has mentioned the duty day or days leading up to the crash. Yes Colgan claims that they meet the duty requirements but in my experience that means nothing.

No one has mentioned the amount of hours the pilots were flying a year.

No one has mentioned that the SIC was complaining about her ears. Why? Can't you take a sick day at Colgan?

People take a cheap shots at honest evaluations taken out of context. Not just people, pilots. These pilots were honest about their capabilities. They were not gung ho or macho. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Lets stand up for ourselves and let the public know that the FAA and the airlines are hanging these pilots out to dry and no safety improvements will come of it.

Pilots need to join together for an increase in pay and QOL. Rather than piss on the freshly dug graves of underpaid and overworked pilot slaves.

Now hang on a second. These pilots are being hung out to dry. The sad thing is there will be no increase in safety to come out of this crash investigation if this is the direction the investigation continues in.

Right now I am ashamed to be a pilot. Mostly because of the opinions expressed by other pilots.

No one has mentioned the pay scale of these pilots and the quality of life that comes with it.

No one has mentioned the duty day or days leading up to the crash. Yes Colgan claims that they meet the duty requirements but in my experience that means nothing.

No one has mentioned that the SIC was complaining about her ears. Why? Can't you take a sick day at Colgan?

People take a cheap shots at honest evaluations taken out of context. Not just people, pilots. These pilots were honest about their capabilities. They were not gung ho or macho. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Lets stand up for ourselves and let the public know that the FAA and the airlines are hanging these pilots out to dry and no safety improvements will come of it.

Pilots need to join together for an increase in pay and QOL. Rather than piss on the freshly dug graves of underpaid and overworked pilot slaves.

So what I'm hearing from you is that these pilots should have no responsibility in this because it's everyone elses fault?

These pilots made basic mistakes that have made families who lost their loved ones suffer needlessly. These families will have to endure pain the rest of their lives. This accident should have never happened.

Why don't you express yourself to the mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, loved ones who lost family on this flight and see how much empathy you get.

If it was your loved ones on that flight would you still be coddling and making excuses for the pilots?

Last edited:

No. You hang on a second. These pilots were responsible for the passengers in the back of the plane. Their job was to take them safely to Buffalo. Not to kill them all and alter the lives of their family members forever. We must take a look at all the factors invloved. But we must also look directly at the cause. The Captain of the aircraft crashed his airplane. We must ensure this does not happen again. Under the SAME circumstances, another crew would have made it to the hotel that night. Let's not bybass the direct result of this crash: Pilot Error. Call it what it is. Let's not tip-toe around the truth. If we do, this kind of stuff will continue to happen.

So what I'm hearing from you is that these pilots should have no responsibility in this because it's everyone elses fault?

These pilots made basic pilot 101 mistakes that have made families who lost their loved ones suffer needlessly....this accident should have never happened.

Why don't you express yourself to the mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, loved ones who were passengers and see where that gets you.

If it was your loved ones on that flight would you still be coddling and making excuses for the pilots?

Both you and SEVEN are totally missing the point. Why were these pilots in this cockpit in the first place?

You know why I would never put my loved ones on a regional airline? Because of the lack of pay and poor quality of life that these pilots are faced with.

I know what its like to be overworked and underpaid. You make basic, silly mistakes. If you say that you would never make a basic mistake while fatigued you have never been fatigued.

I can't understand how other pilots who are working in terrible conditions can hang other pilots out to dry who were forced to work in terrible conditions.

No one has even mentioned that the SIC was suffering from some kind of inner ear condition. Way to stand up for each other guys.

Again I am ashamed to be a pilot. No safety improvements will come from these 50 deaths that you both seem so concerned about until the FAA addresses low pilot pay and fatigue.

Latest resources

Back