Instrument long x-c with CFI??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BLing said:
If you dont have the rating on your CFI certificate, dont bother trying to teach it is a good way to avoid problems!

Can a CFII give instrument training towards the instrument rating to a Private Pilot with a multi?

The answer depends on the ratings on the Commercial Certificate of the instructor. Assume the Instructor has commerical single, multi engine land, and an instrument rating, then yes. Without the multi, then no.

An MEI is required to give training for the original issuance of a multi-engine rating.

You're definately going to need a CFII to conduct the 250 NM instrument cross-country training.

Any training that is required for a rating or certificate must be conducted by an appropriately rated instructor. Any instrument training that is used to fulfill the requirements for the IR will need to be conducted by a CFII.

Bump & Question

NYCPilot said:
You're definately going to need a CFII to conduct the 250 NM instrument cross-country training.

Any training that is required for a rating or certificate must be conducted by an appropriately rated instructor. Any instrument training that is used to fulfill the requirements for the IR will need to be conducted by a CFII.

Soooooooooo what if you have a weekend warrior VFR PP who wants to brush up on his instrument skills with absolutly no intent on getting his instrument rating. Can a CFI help him out or does it have to be a CFII?

OK I understand that you have to have a CFII when training towards the original instrument ticket. My question is, do you need to be a CFII if you are flying with say a commercial pilot or an instrument pilot working on his commercial, and he is doing regular cross countries and they are IFR flight plans but in VFR conditions.

OK that came out wrong somewhat. OK the situation is this. The guy/girl is working on their Commercial rating or ATP or something in order to build time. They are flying cross countries in order to get the time up and they are filing IFR flight plans but flying in VFR conditions. Can you log dual given with this person if you aren't a CFII? AND/OR...Can you log dual given to all time except time which is flown in actual IFR conditions? Responses would be helpful and appreciated.

You guys need to read the regs again.

How much inst training needs to be given by a CFII for the inst rating?

How much could any run of the mill CFI give towards the inst. rating?

d) Aeronautical experience. A person who applies for an instrument rating must have logged the following:

(1) At least 50 hours of cross-country flight time as pilot in command, of which at least 10 hours must be in airplanes for an instrument—airplane rating; and

(2) A total of 40 hours of actual or simulated instrument time on the areas of operation of this section, to include—

(i) At least 15 hours of instrument flight training from an authorized instructor in the aircraft category for which the instrument rating is sought;

What is 40 - 15?

Answer.......

It is the amount of hours a CFI can instruct an instrument student and be perfectly legal.

40 hours total

15 hours from a II

A question the FAA examiner asked me last may during my CFI oral. If you'd like his name and # to the FSDO, pm me and I will give it to you. Maybe he could "contribute" smart ass.

If we all understood the regs, we wouldn't have half the questions on here. Not to mention you being a smartass and saying people need to read the regs, if youre gonna be a smartass, expect a smartass remark in return. And since you're so wise and knowledgable, answer my original post.

I guess my line of thinking is this....

If I have a question regarding regs, I get the regs out and read them to see if I can answer the question myself. The only reason I said to read the regs is because that is the only place to find the right answer in the first place. not to be an ass. Just because a bunch of people on the message board say it is so, doesn't mean it is. I was in the same boat myself during my CFI oral, and I looked up the answer and we talked about it. As a CFI, you CAN give instrument training to a student going for his/her instrument rating. Only 15 hours of the 40 total has to be given by an "authorized" or II.
Had I not been asked this question by the FAA, I wouldn't know the answer myself.

Latest resources

Back