Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cforst513

Giggity giggity goo!!!
this is a "what would you do" post. today i applied full throttle in my 172 to take off and i notice that the airspeed indicator was not coming off of 0 kts. instead of electing to abort my take off and apply the brakes, i took off. i immediately notified the tower of the problem, asked for closed traffic, and cancelled my IFR flight plan. i did a pattern and landed with no further problems. now, what would you have done? do you consider the airspeed indicator a required instrument? according to ATOMATOFLAMES, you need it for VFR flight. did i make the right decision or should i have applied the brakes, aborted, and gone back to the ramp? what would you do?

Good for you, I probably wouldn't have noticed!

cforst513 said:
did i make the right decision or should i have applied the brakes, aborted, and gone back to the ramp? what would you do?

I guess that would depend upon how much runway is still in front of you. Personally, I consider the airspeed indicator to be one of the most important instruments, and wouldn't intentionally take off without it. Then again, it might stand to reason that you have a license, I don't, and therefore it's your call.

One of the first things one looks at on the TO roll, after good power, is "airspeed alive". If you don't have it...stop. At that point, you haven't used up much runway ( in any airplane ). The airspeed indicator is required ( practically if not legally...and sometimes that's more important ) in your 172 or the biggest thing that gets off the ground. Now you know and this will NEVER happen to you again. You have gained "experience". Things like this are the ones that remain with you for a career. You will never fly another airplane where you don't look for "airspeed alive".

Last edited:
Yes you should have aborted the TO when you noticed it was inop. You certainly did the right thing by returning to land instead of contuing the flight. I wish the crew of Air Florida flt 90 did that 23 yrs ago. Even if I were in hard IMC I could fly without it by using pitch and power but it of course is required by the FAR's VFR or IFR. Might want to fill out a NASA form as well.

Depending on how much runway left, I would have made a decision to stop or go.

Enough runway to stop? Close the throttle, apply the brakes, maintain directional control and bring the aircraft to a stop on the remaining runway.

Not enough runway to stop? Do exactly what you did.

I think you did fine.

Airspeed indicator is critical! IMO

-mini

Let me add that it is clear you learned from this incident without bending metal and that alone is worth it's weight in gold. A good pilot will learn from his mistakes and never stops learning. I'd much rather fly with a humble pilot who makes some minor mistakes than a know-it-all arrogant SOB who thinks he can do no wrong and thinks he's God's gift to aviation.

I would have aborted. I had one flight where the AS indicator worked right up until I rotated, then it stayed at 0 the rest of the flight.

2280 all green needle alive

i would have stopped

edit

2065 its a 72

the needle was kind of hopping around, but it was by no means "alive". I wasn't sure if i became airborne that it might start working right. hindsight being 20/20, i probably had enough runway space to stop. but what about that NASA form? so far only one person has mentioned it. what do the rest of you think? should i fill one out?

Latest resources

Back