instrument failure

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
cforst513 said:
the needle was kind of hopping around, but it was by no means "alive". I wasn't sure if i became airborne that it might start working right. hindsight being 20/20, i probably had enough runway space to stop. but what about that NASA form? so far only one person has mentioned it. what do the rest of you think? should i fill one out?

Keep this in mind. The A/S indicator being broke won't kill ya. But at your experience level focusing on it will. What I mean if for a low time pilot to have something like this happen can be very distracting. Thats where you'd get hurt. Lots of guys would have continued. I would suggest at your level that you had aborted. JMHO

Cforst513, good question.
This is what I do in the jets:
If it's a situation that requires you to stop NOW, then abort. (fire, blown tire, loss of directional control...). If it's a situation that may not be that dire, like a single generator failure, then I would do exactly as you did. Reasons (remember it's a multi engine jet, so I'm giving you basic pointers.)
Why bend the airplane for a "nonsence" item?
We will have more runway available, and be going slower, if we do go around the pattern once. I wouldn't go around the pattern while on fire, though!
Does this make sens? Except for the a/s indicator, the plane flew normally, huh?
Sounds to me like you did fine.
Love the avtar. Giggidy!

Captain4242 said:
Cforst513, good question.
This is what I do in the jets:
If it's a situation that requires you to stop NOW, then abort. (fire, blown tire, loss of directional control...). If it's a situation that may not be that dire, like a single generator failure, then I would do exactly as you did. Reasons (remember it's a multi engine jet, so I'm giving you basic pointers.)
Why bend the airplane for a "nonsence" item?
We will have more runway available, and be going slower, if we do go around the pattern once. I wouldn't go around the pattern while on fire, though!
Does this make sens? Except for the a/s indicator, the plane flew normally, huh?
Sounds to me like you did fine.
Love the avtar. Giggidy!
thanks captain. the reason i'm making a stink out of this is because it's my first instrument failure (check the low time). i know it wasn't a big deal, and aside from electing to take off and not squeal the tires, i felt fine when i did my pattern sans airspeed indicator. i just landed fast and floated a bit, which i'll take, believe me! i was more freaked out when i elected to abort my takeoff the next day and was skidding sideways down the runway. they found what the problem was - a mud dobbers (sp?) nest inside the pitot tube! stupid bugs. thanks for the pointers, though.

cforst513 said:
yes, KingAir, there was no cover on the pitot tube.

so i get back in the same aircraft today, checked the MX records, and it says that they took apart, cleaned, and then reassembled tbe pitot tube. they tested it and no probs. so i go to take off today, SAME PROBLEM!!! only this time i was looking for it and i aborted. it was interesting, though, b/c i started skidding sideways, but i quickly got it back under control. i went out later w/ our assistant chief and we were going to do a pattern, but same problem: no airspeed indicated. we aborted there and taxied back to our school. wrote it up AGAIN. in my unprofessional opinion, it's the actual airspeed gauge. i am quickly not liking that airplane...
Whats the tail number, so I stay away from it ?

cforst513 said:
5291W :D:D:D all problems at the school are with 5291W!!
What the hell are you doing flying my airplane.

It always flies fine for me. IT LIKES ME!

I prolly shoulda been the one making this thread. I wonder if I would have aborted or not.

it wasn't really that airplane, i was just kidding you. it was the R model

Seeing that you only have 100 hours, maybe I would've aborted the takeoff, however, with a little experience you should be able to fly a 172 by rpm and the feeling in the seat of your pants. (which is what you ended up doing anyway)

I had a muddobber clog up a pitot tube once--flew by feel and power setting--no big deal.

All in all aborting was the smart thing to do.

Refresh my memory, what are the basic instruments required for VFR flight?

Suppose something else when south in this flight? In your statement, "well the airspeed indicator wasn't working, but I have enough experience to fly without it". There goes the insurance. You're stuck with the repair bill. An insurance company will do anything to get out of paying up, and flying in violation of an FAR is right up there with them.

Aviation is a CYA activity. Its more than the mechanics of getting a machine off of the ground and back on again.

Latest resources

Back