• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

instrument failure

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
the airplane will fly without an airspeed indicator.I worked with a gentelman who aborted the t/o when he "finally" noticed that the a/s indicator was inop and he bent metal and hurt people. like you said, best to check it well before you're at rotation speed, but it won't keep the a/c from flying . I used to say out loud "airspeed alive, guages green" in the 172 right after applying t/o power. I'd take a look at the a/s indicator then the temp and pressure. if itsa no good, you only went 100 feet or whatever.
file a nasa report just because its nice for them to see all of the data available.

Last edited:
Sounds like you used good judgement. Nobody will care if you abided by 91.205 if you blow out both tires and run into a fence.

kream, i don't get your 2065 reference. what does that stand for?

and whats the FAA's link to the Nasa form i can fill out? i am not sure if the one i found is current or not.

AVI8V1 said:
I used to say out loud "airspeed alive, guages green" in the 172 right after applying t/o power. I'd take a look at the a/s indicator then the temp and pressure. if itsa no good, you only went 100 feet or whatever.

Exactly. The point to be learned here is the discipline of doing as you said...IAS is one of the primary parameters checked very early in the TO roll. You won't roll very far in any airplane without seeing a rise in IAS if it's working. An abort for this problem will not run through any fences.

Yep...as soon as I hit the throttle, its "gauges green, airspeed alive".

Airspeed comes alive almost immediately in a 172.

In the future, abort (as long as thats the safe thing to do). But you did well by staying calm and not bending any metal. :)

Last edited:
Kream926 said:
why a NASA form, see no need for this
Its not a big deal, but he did break a FAR and told an air traffic controller. :D

Tho, my advice isn't worth anything based on my experience.

Nasa form link...

http://members.eaa.org/home/govt/forms/ASRS%20Cabin%20Crew.pdf

Guys here is the Nasa form... I would download one and keep it in your flight bag with an envelope plus stamp. Why? It is the COVER YOUR A$$ FORM! It does not protect you in a violation but if you admit a mistake you may avoid a problem with the Feds. For instance 513 you told the tower you had an inopt A/S and continued the takeoff roll. Well MR. FAA may see that differently and call you in for a little talk that may or may not leave you with some tarnish on your record.
Remember the Feds WANT TO BE YOUR FRIEND! Also remember that it is there job to find something wrong!!!

Good Luck.

Latest resources

Back