Inside info on FedEx pilot hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FlyBoeingJets said:
Hey, way to go Goose!! My FedEx bud confirms all. It is the real deal.

Don't forget your FE written. It will be hard for a sponsor to explain why you don't have one.

I have my FE written, but its more than 24 months old. But I work for a Part 121 carrier, so technically it's current per the FARs. In my case, do I need to retake it? I've heard different things, ranging from "yes" to "you can apply and interview with an 'expired' one (if mine is expired, which it isn't per the FARs), but you need to retake it before you start class".....to "no, they don't care".

Any factual insight would be appreciated.

Yes, you need to have taken your written within the last 24 months. Good luck.

NightFlyer

NightFlyer said:
Yes, you need to have taken your written within the last 24 months. Good luck.

NightFlyer

Do I need it before the interview, or before class?
Thanks for the info.

J Dawg,

Let's just say that common sense applies. The other 7,999 guys looking for an interview probably have a current FE written, being "technically" current is probably not the best way to be competitive and look like you REALLY want the job. If you've already been called for an interview I'll put money down that everyone you interview with will have a current FE.

Not to be a d1ck, but why stand out in bad way? Why make your sponsor have to answer the question if asked? "Well, he's technically current" may not be optimum. As noted by the System Chief Pilot on down, and has been mentioned already in this thread, FedEx can be as picky as they want to be. Do everything you possibly can to have your checks in the correct blocks.

Last edited:
I never said I would go into an interview without it. Just trying to get as much info on FedEx's requirements as possible, since FedEx fails to properly explain what they mean by "current" FE written on their application site. It is even mentioned in their Q & A summery, without a complete explanation of what they mean by "current". Is it too simple for them to state "The FE written is required and must be current within 24 months"? Thanks for answering the question though.

My FE was taken over 24 months ago too. I asked my sponsor about this and he said he was in the same situation and FedEx didn't have a problem with it. This was also prior to 9-11. He told me to just go re-take it. It doesn't take that long if you just buckle down for 2 days and study it.

Daveman said:
Hey the long and the short......If you're not in Tight, it will be a long, long time.....a long time!
Not true. It is what it is right now but it won't remain this way.

FE written at FedEx

I have posted this response several times on many threads about the FE written at FedEx but at the risk of coming off as a pompous a$$ I will gladly repeat it. I have also tried the search function several times and it is pretty unwieldy so I don't mind repeating answers for folks with questions that have been asked and answered before. That said:

Capt Megadeath: I have to disagree with your sponsor. I was told during newhire training that FedEx does not recognize the waiver on the FE written for folks who are continuously employed by a 121 carrier. I don't know why, and no real explanation was given, that is just the way it is. I doubt that you will get an interview without a current (WITHIN 24 MONTHS current) FE written. I am almost absolutely positively sure that you won't be able to start class without it as well.

There was one exception reported a while back for a pilot who was in the Iraq who couldn't renew his written for obvious reasons and the FAA gave him a new expiration date. I'm not sure of the specifics but that was an FAA decision which wasn't based on the 121 employment extension.

I don't think it is a post 911 thing, or a we're swamped with applicants thing, it is just the way FedEx views the requirement for the FE ticket. They don't want to mess around getting FAA waivers and extensions cleared up when you complete training and it is time for you to get your ticket. In fact, in 02 when my class went through we all had some kind of limitation on our FE ticket and we all had to immediately trudge over to the FAA to get new tickets without the restrictions. I can't remember what the restriction was for or why we all had it, but FedEx doesn't like restrictions on the ticket, kind of like SW requires an unrestricted 737 type rating. It is just the way it is.

So if you want to get on at FedEx, keep your ticket (and class I medical) CURRENT and don't forget to update your profile OFTEN. I'm not sure if I like the sound of the program that was just put out, but I think that as the hiring wave continues we will see a lot more folks without sponsors make their way into the system. Just my opinion.

Again, best of luck to those in the app process.

FJ

Falcon,
Thanks for the info. I am definitely getting that FE written done again soon.
Happy Holidays!

Latest resources

Back