• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Inside info on FedEx pilot hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dont forget that pre 9/11 Fed Ex was going to require signing a training contract, they could not keep anyone in class... Funny how it is the cream of the crop now....

av8tor4239 said:
Dont forget that pre 9/11 Fed Ex was going to require signing a training contract, they could not keep anyone in class... Funny how it is the cream of the crop now....

Funny, I was hired summer of '01 ... never heard of a training contract, and no one in my class left. Where'd you get your info???

av8tor4239 said:

Hired summer of 00. No one left my class, the class before or the class after, and I never even heard a rumor about a "training contact". You makin' this stuff up Dude?;)

It has been awhile since I did applications. But having recommendations and sponsors go to bat for you with the Chief Pilot is nothing new to the airlines. Delta, UAL, and AA all required recs when I was applying. And to get the call (ie distinguish you from the thousands of files in HR) it "helped" to have someone go to the HR office and pull your file, and I am sure it was like that before me. Networking is a way of life that is not specific to only the airline industry and FedEx, sorry.

And BTW, FedEx has NEVER considered having a training contract that I have ever heard. But would not put it past Fred. "Here is your A-300 type rating, that will be $25,000 please. OOPS, sorry, it seems it took you two additional sim rides. Let me see $2,000 for the instructors and an additional $1,250 for the extra sims. Total now $28,250. How will you be paying for that? You do realize here at FedEx we offer a 100% discount for all non-ALPA members. Care to join our exclusive NRL (No Red Letter) Club for future training discounts?"

Last edited:
We’re honestly not trying to hire all our old buddies, friends of friends, or family members, etc.
(unless they are best-qualified, zero-risk). Simply, pilot hiring is just too important to be left
to chance and we can’t afford to goon this one up!

But then , below that..
3.Only Sponsor "best qualified" pilots...
4.Only Sponsor zero risk pilots...

So they are trying to hire old buddies, friends of friends, or family members, 'honestly'

Line doggies with no connections can forget it, in other words. They're "high risk". : (~

Last edited:
A question, does zero-risk mean less like to leave Fedex when the majors (pax only0 start hiring again,or does it mean less likely to fail training?

Now, pay attention class....

We've posted the whole letter here before. Here's the stuff about pilots at risk...

"Pilots have “risks” if: they have weak or negative
recommendations; they are minimally qualified regarding total, PIC, or recency of experience flight
times; they do not have additional aviation skills (instructor, evaluator, management, etc.); there
is some concern regarding their experience level or compatibility with FedEx Flight Operations;
they are currently employed or furloughed by another major airline. (Applicant’s with risks are
not precluded from consideration; however, amplifying information may be required prior to
consideration. For instance, if an applicant is furloughed from another airline, it is probably
necessary to sit down with them face-to-face to get a "warm and fuzzy" that FedEx isn’t just an
easy divert until the weather improves at their previous airline.) When we hire a new crewmember,
we do so with an expectation that they will be a productive member of the FedEx crewforce through
their normal retirement. "

Yada yada yada

I like Fed Ex's candor. Now those who have what they are looking for know what to stress during the process. However, the one part that leaves me guessing is how being in management is an additional aviation skill.

DallasGatr said:
There are plenty of pilots at FedEx without a military background....

Your probably right.. it is funny though that the "outspoken" few FedEx guys on this board are all former military. This theme (sorry to say) sounds like the old Delta theme of the late 90's... What was it back then? for every civ pilot 10 ex-mil hired?

Personally I am not offended by the process, but if you read between the lines it does appear to be one-sided. While there are over 8K resumes on file and 4300 possible sponsor's at best 1/2 of the current app's may see an interview/offer. You can also state that 4300 sponsor's pick 4300 OTHER pilot's who do not have an app in leaving the current pool not chosen from. Hmm, what is the benefit of putting an app in when the odd's can be stacked against you?

Just my .02.. hopefully you will hire some guys from my company so I can get more days off. :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back