• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Informational Stapling Compass to Delta Website

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Does there always have to be a "fight?" Does it really scare DALPA, if Compass had their own MEC? They'd have their own voice to act on things that benefit their pilot group. I'm not taking a position either way with CPZ spinning off into their own MEC... just asking the question. If the did, they'd truly have a voice. It doesn't necessarily have to be an adversarial relationship... look at XJ and NWA.

Airlink/DCI and mainline coexist because of mainline scope. If BOTH sides can work together with everyone's and not just a few pilots best interests at hand, we'd actually be a UNION, not an association.

IMHO this has your best interests in mind. These CPZ pilots knew what the organizational structure and opportunities were prior to going there. Most went there for the flow. The large majority of them want to keep the MEC structure the way that it is, I know I have asked many of them .They see the issues and single mindedness of splitting them off. It is not to hard to see that.
To change the minds of many you need to first change one person's mind. That is the goal.
If we do the research and it is better to keep CPZ separate and spin them off then the number will prove it. We just want to make darn for certain before any changes are made.

Each MEC looks out for their own first.

It's a union, but that term applies moreso to within each MEC as opposed to between MECs. Changing that actuality is why it will be a fight.

This is why you need to write/call (and implore your pilot group to do the same) if you truly want brand scope. Only when we have the same goals can this on a large scale go forward.

Also remember that once you start flying for multiple carriers it gets a lot harder to pull you back in.

Does there always have to be a "fight?" Does it really scare DALPA, if Compass had their own MEC? They'd have their own voice to act on things that benefit their pilot group. I'm not taking a position either way with CPZ spinning off into their own MEC... just asking the question. If the did, they'd truly have a voice. It doesn't necessarily have to be an adversarial relationship... look at XJ and NWA.

Airlink/DCI and mainline coexist because of mainline scope. If BOTH sides can work together with everyones and not just a few pilots best interests at hand, we'd actually be a UNION, not an association.

Yes, however it is important to understand the nature of CPZ.

This was not a new carrier started to offer jobs to pilots off the street - it was a fallback position taken under extreme duress by the NWA pilots during BK to

PROVIDE JOBS FOR NWA PILOTS IN THE EVENT OF A FURLOUGH - nothing else - the **temporary jobs** created are a side benefit that came with ensuring that job protection for NWA, now DAL pilots.

The reason they are on our MEC, and we wrote their contract was because we fully expected a furlough and our pilots to be working there.

All this talk of CPZ and their rights is specious BS - they have no rights other than to be a place holder for possible DAL furloughs - the bilateral flow was the quid they got for being in this tenuous position, and all accepted employment there knowing the landscape.

Letting CPZ have their own MEC would be analogous to having your house robbed at gun point in exchange for your life, and then saying they have squatters rights to your possessions and you will agree to sit down to negotiate the rights to your property.

Having them cut would be acknowledging they have rights to your property. If the DAL MEC gives this away and compromises the only real furlough protection that exists for DAL pilots it will be the greatest surrender in the history of ALPA.

Last edited:
Yes, however it is important to understand the nature of CPZ. This was not a new carrier started to offer jobs to pilots off the street - it was a fallback position taken by the NWA pilots during BK to PROVIDE JOBS FOR NWA PILOTS IN THE EVENT OF A FURLOUGH - nothing else - the temporary jobs created are a side benefit that came with ensuring that job protection for NWA, now DAL pilots.

The reason they are on our MEC, and we wrote their contract was because we fully expected a furlough and out pilots to be working there.

All this talk of CPZ and their rights is specious BS - they have no rights other than to be a place holder for possible DAL furloughs - the bilateral flow was the quid they got for being in this tenuous position, and all accepted employment there knowing the landscape.

Letting CPZ have their own MEC would be analogous to having your house robbed at gun point in exchange for your life, and then saying they have squatters rights to your possessions and you will agree to sit down to negotiate the rights to your property.

Having the DAL MEC cut them lose would be acknowledging they have rights to your property.

Well put. Add to that the possible issues created by an action such as that.

Man, read up on the Ford-Cooksey settlement. That in effect will create a lot of headaches.
Not really. They'll get the memo.
The only headache for them was the $$ lost by hard working DCI pilots who were promised $$millions in settlements by the failed leadership of the rjdc

Do we have to go to our own lec meetings or are we allowed to attend one in the city where we live? I'm lax based but live in Sea...

Do we have to go to our own lec meetings or are we allowed to attend one in the city where we live? I'm lax based but live in Sea...

You don't have to be a member of the LEC where you're based. You can call the MEC Secretary and have your LEC changed to one closer to your domicile.

I think the greatest aspiration of a regional pilot is not to work at mainline for the pay, work rules and BJS (big jet syndrome). That's all the bonus stuff. It's to be apart of a pilot group that doesn't exist as language in somebody elses section 1.

Amen and a half!

Well Air France is in DAL's section 1 as I am sure Delta is in theirs.

I know what you are saying though.

Latest resources

Back