In flight pranks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TDTURBO said:
I fly Cessnas now but have a few hundred hrs in all types of pipers, where is this hole you plug up, on the floor in the SIC seat? I never heard of this one but sounds fun.

It's not beneath the right seat, but below the left seat on the side of the fuselage just above the floor. There are two metal buttons, one is a pitot system drain and the other is the static system drain. I don't remember which is which. Pressing the static system drain in flight would be the equivalent to opening up the alternate static source and just makes the instruments jump a bit. Oh, and you don't plug it up, but rather push it open in flight to divert the air pressure from the line leading to the airspeed indicator to get that fluctuation. The buttons are spring loaded to stay closed. A little difficult but fun.

I was doing this to CFI level students, so they would be in the right seat, and I would be in the left. I do believe these were on the preflight checklist as something to drain before flight. ;)

When riding in the back of a 172, you can change the CG a fair amount by leaning forward or back. In really smooth air, when the 2 guys up front are distracted chatting with each other, you can really have the pilot wondering why the hell the damn thing won't stay in trim.

I passed a warm front in the drop zone's 182 while flying jumpers this weekend. The dz owner's wife's head was only about three feet away from the frontogenisis...there was no escaping for her.

Not Inflight

Ok, so this doesn't quite go along with the thread with respect to being inflight, but....

Currently I work full time at a corporation where we each have our own cubes and computers, see Office Space, and for the most part are in need of childish entertainment. So the usual office pranks happen often, i.e. keyboards, mouse, chairs, emails for each other to the NGPA and so on.

One of the more popular things to do is hide/stash food that will rot and smell a cube up. One day I find a smal container of cream cheese hidden in the back of my top drawer, for the most part I never really smelled anything. I discovered it by accident, but I knew who had done it so....

Another fellow co-worker/prankster and I decided to fill a small bowl (about three tablespoons) with some fried rice, egg drop soup and water, seal the top and put several smalls holes in it. In order to ensure maximum smell for an extended period of time we place the bowl inside the other guys computer terminal, which happens to sit less than two feet from his nose. And with the little fan inside, we figured the aroma was bound to make it's way out.

After two weeks or so with no indication of anything wrong we went to check up on our concoction. The rice had begun to frement but the smell wasn't that potent yet. The next step involved another small bowl and some cottage cheese! So now there are two small bowls slowly leaking out a less than pleasant smell.

Just yesterday, Nov. 8th, I get an IM from the guy. He's wondering if I can smell the warm garbage for where I sit!:D

All I could do was laugh and query him about what warm garbage smelled like. Of course I had to stop by his cube and it smells like a dumpster behind a bowling alley!

The best part is the bowls are going to remain inside his terminal and I don't think he'll ever know where the smell is coming from.

At least I hope he doesn't because I hate having to watch me back!:erm:

Back when I was a Lieutenant WSO (Weapons Systems Officer) in the F-111F at RAF Lakenheath, England, we had an ex-Army rotorhead pilot in the squadron. This guy wasn’t the strongest swimmer, so to speak, when it came to flying skills.

The F-111F was side-by-side seating and the cockpit temperature control knob was on the center pedestal between the seats.

The Aardvark was a bit of a pig (gross under statement) in the dive bomb and pop pattern dropping bombs at the range. We didn’t do it very often and it was done using an early generation HUD/bomb site.

So, I, and another WSO he used to fly a lot with, starting messing with this guy on the range. The range sortie would usually begin with dropping bombs using the radar and then progressing to the dive bomb pattern. Radar bombing usually consisted of level passes, or lofts…very benign. In the radar pattern, the pilot is flying and following the nav system, which the WSO is directing with his radar cursors on the target. Once in the dive bomb pattern, it’s all pilot, with the WSO making altitude callouts. So, the pilot works pretty hard horsing the Vark around the pattern. This is where the fun starts.

After the last radar pass, I’d covertly reach down and crank the heat up a little bit. Just enough to increase the heat coming out of the ECS, but not enough to change the sound of the airflow, which would happen if you changed it too much. Then, with each successive pass, I’d crank the heat up more.

This guy would start sweating and huffing and cussing himself out for having to work so hard at dropping bombs. In the mean time, I’d be laughing watching this guy sweating and floundering in the left seat. On the next to last pass, I’d reach down and slowly move the control back to full cold and he never caught on.

Before long, all the WSO’s in the squadron were in on the joke and all of them were doing it to this guy. He’d lament in the squadron about how hard it was to drop bombs in this jet.

To anybody in the know, it wouldn’t have mattered anyway for his Top Gun scores. He could barely hit the ground with his bombs!:rolleyes:

Was truly the running joke in the squadron until he PCS’ed and he never caught on to “our” joke!:D

I enjoyed playing this little trick on students in Cherokees/Warriors/Arrows...

On a cross country or some flight where your student isn't paying attention, I put my seat back to relax. After a few moments, I put my feet up on top of the rudder pedals to gain a little more comfort.

After a few minutes like that, I used my foot to move the control column back and forth (you can reach it under the panel w/ your foot), and boy have I gotten some great freak outs!

Latest resources

Back