• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I'm going to build my multi time by PFT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This website is great for getting advice, posting your thoughts, and evaluating responses and suggestions by INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS on an anonymous basis. Its great to see someone with very little experience continually ignore what this website is designed to do. Dude, people are trying to help you. Why you can't recognize this is beyond me, but whatever, go do what you think will get you ahead. By the way, get ahead to what? Whats the hurry? Whats 100 hours of multi time going to get you when you'll still have under 500 hours total time? Its amusing to read while I drink beer and update my logbook with all the hours I'VE BEEN PAID to fly. Towing banners sounds like a good gig. In fact I've heard there's a place where you can pay to get the banner towing skills. Sweet hook up man, you should look into it.

mcjohn said:
I can't quite put my finger on it but something just ain't right with you John2375. Call or email the places yourself and tell them about it.
What's wrong with you?
Nothing's wrong w/me - I said for him to do it himself so he could see what I was talking about fIRST HAND! I've ALREADY done that and reported the results here, only to be told I'm wrong and dont know what I"M talking about! :nuts:

Hand Commander said:
This website is great for getting advice, posting your thoughts, and evaluating responses and suggestions by INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS on an anonymous basis. Its great to see someone with very little experience continually ignore what this website is designed to do. Dude, people are trying to help you. Why you can't recognize this is beyond me, but whatever, go do what you think will get you ahead. By the way, get ahead to what? Whats the hurry? Whats 100 hours of multi time going to get you when you'll still have under 500 hours total time? Its amusing to read while I drink beer and update my logbook with all the hours I'VE BEEN PAID to fly. Towing banners sounds like a good gig. In fact I've heard there's a place where you can pay to get the banner towing skills. Sweet hook up man, you should look into it.
I'm not continually ignoring it at all! In fact I'm interested in what everyone says and it sometimes almost convinces me - IGNORING? THat's everyone on this board in response to my posts! No matter what I say, I"m told that I couldn't possibly been told that - I tell you I've gotten responses from people saying nothing is wrong w/PFT yet I"m told I didn't! NOthing's more frustrating than that - I respect your opinions (even though you don't respect mine) but facts are facts. That's all I"m saying - listen to the FACTS I tell you - you can have your own opinion, but don't tell me EVERY employer looks down at PFTers when I just told you (several times) that although some do, NOT ALL DO -if they all did, why would ANYONE do a program like that/ Why put a few thousand bucks down to end your career?? Obviously they're helpful for MORE than just the company that does it and makes big $$ off pilots, but also for the pilots themselves, otherwise we'd be kamikaze's when it came to our career!

I think everyones pretty tired of this one. Obviously you're going to do what you want but shelling out dough to fly CAN be avoided. There are 135 places that you can get hired at with low multi time and then upgrade into the multi stuff, all while getting paid to fly. I do agree that why pay for multitime when your overall is so low. Get a job flying and getting paid and then when your 135 mins come around and if you dont have near enough multi then do your PFT thing. If your going to do it anyway I say at least get the most out of the "get paid to fly" thing while you can.

John2375,

You can divide most people on this issue into one of two camps. Despite being one who has done the ME.net routine, I strongly suggest you seriously consider what RichardRambone and taloft have shared. PFT (or in this case PFW as some have called it) needs to be taken in context relative to one's total time, and how you got the time you do have.

ME.net does not provide the same "quality" of time as instructing, that's for sure, the vast majority is spent in cruise flight. You need to be honest with yourself, and realize this. If this is where you have the majority of your twin time, there's no assurance you're going to have an "A" game to bring to the table if you're hired and sent out to fly an older C-402 solo, at night, with no AP, in weather, down to minimums. There's the potential to be a real safety risk to yourself if you think you're an ace because you've got 100me in your book. Flying over the gulf in relatively good weather during the day with two crew just isn't the same.

I respect anybody who done the CFI routine.

Lilah

John2375 said:
ePilot22 wanted me to start a thread in here about paying for training which I think is an excellent way to advance your career and which I will be doing in the coming months.
I am NOT a teacher and certainly am not going to teach something I have little experience in, so the CFI route is out for me.
I will be attending a program (not sure which one yet) that will allow me to gain valuable experience, leap-frog over the ones who are stuck-in-the-mud doing it the "right" way (just to prove a point i thinK) and will gain the necessary foot-in-the-door so hard to comeby in this industry.
Apprently he thinks his opinion is the only one that counts, and that leads me to believe he can't afford such a program and is jealous, and that's his problem. He said I wouldnt' have the balls to post this here, so I guess I got a nice sack now dont' I??!
My views /thoughts on PFT are wellknown and since I have spoken w/potential employers about these programs and THEY HAVE NO PROBLEM with it, I have no problem standing behind my beliefs since it's only those of you on these boards who seem to have such an issue with it.
There you go.
:pimp:

Give me the 30 grand and you can have my job, it's a brand new shiny jet...

hey there big shot....

If you think you have such big a big set why don't you tell us your real name and pilots cert. number so we can add you to a few list. If you think "no way, I'm not stupid,I don't want to ruin my career " then you must have some idea of what is right and wrong to do to get a flying job. Paying for flying lessons is OK, Paying to build a lttle time is OK but don't ever, EVER pay for something that a pilot trying to make a living could do and get paid for it himself. This is basically the same as "crossing the picket line" or being a scab. Now with that said, I personally am not in a union nor am afilliated with one in any shape form or fashion, but it all boils down to what is right and wrong.Don't ruin it for everyone esle by paying to do something that they should be paying you for.

John2375,

What alot of people on here are trying to say (some tactfully some rudely) is that PFT hurts our industry badly. It belittles our job. Before I started instructing and when I was instructing, I was looking at Gulfstream as a possibility for me cause of the same reason....wanted to progress my career faster. I didn't understand the airline industry until I was in it. After getting in it I realize that it is a great industry but one that is very fu#ked up. We all work long hours, away from our friends and family for days, and carry more responsibiliy in a day than most carry in there life. But yet we all see our wages and benifits go down the tube mainly because of PFJ or PFT mentality that airline management are starting to take on us. Remember, they NEED us. So if they NEED us, why would you have to pay for something they NEED. What I am trying to say is that if you do deside to do the PFT option to further your career.....in the long term you will be hurting your and our careers. You mentioned that you wanted to learn from experienced pilots
John2375 said:
..........but there's certainly so much to be said for experience - flying w/someone w/4 THousand hours as opposed to 400hours...........
I may not have 4000hrs. but many people on here do and have told you what they think. Again, this is my opinion so please don't take this as a personal bash against you. Eventually you will realize the problem in this industry and understand why we all feel so strongly about this. Until then, enjoy your flying now because when you start doing it as a job......well....... it's still fun but it is exactly that.....a job.

bell47 said:
If you think you have such big a big set why don't you tell us your real name and pilots cert. number so we can add you to a few list. If you think "no way, I'm not stupid,I don't want to ruin my career " then you must have some idea of what is right and wrong to do to get a flying job. Paying for flying lessons is OK, Paying to build a lttle time is OK but don't ever, EVER pay for something that a pilot trying to make a living could do and get paid for it himself. This is basically the same as "crossing the picket line" or being a scab. Now with that said, I personally am not in a union nor am afilliated with one in any shape form or fashion, but it all boils down to what is right and wrong.Don't ruin it for everyone esle by paying to do something that they should be paying you for.

I could give my name/number, but I won't , not because I"m saying something I"m doing is wrong, but because I'm not stupid!! I know what others think so sometimes it's best to keep your mouth shut!
For example, I have no problem w/any race, ethinicity, etc - but I'm not against telling the odd joke w/"racy" material in it...but I'm not stupid enough to do in public where someone would automatcally jump to the conclusion I'm a racist!
I can see how it's bad for the industry, and once again I"m not COMMITTED to doing it this way - I'm still looking at differnet options. If I could get a job banner towing or whatever I'd go that way..
Oh - ther'es a place (not the place in Daytona that apprently is horrible, but another place) that gets you a tailwheel endoresment, training in banner towing, all for $2000. Then you're employed for the March to September season, flying about 700-800 hours in that time...is that on the BAD list too because you have to pay something first??
Every other place I've contacted wants 50 hours tailwheel time - so if I got my tailwheel endorsement and then somewhere/somehow found a taildragger to fly around for 50 horus...what's the difference? I'd still be paying some amount of money to get those hours, and have no guarantee for a job. The other place at least will hire you after...what's the general concensus on this situation??

Latest resources

Back