Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

If you weren't a pilot, what would you do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Look at what your career progression is in education vs. the airlines. You will probably not make 50K at a regional until you make captain.

My suggestion would be teach and continue to fly, gaining ratings and experience part-time or during summers. Let your work pay for your training to avoid debt. Network like crazy with everybody you know, then start flying charter or corporate locally. This will all probably take you 5 or so years, but your bank account, 403(b), Roth and quality of life will thank you later!

Do what makes you happy, but don't miss the forest for the trees. Good luck!

Field Service: I would really enjoy traveling on somewhat sort notice to fix a problem that is critical in nature (medical/power? equipment). I'm not sure the pay/degree/skill set but have a solid grasp on troubleshooting already. Any ideas/help from any of you? I often thought though, that travel would get old... I guess you don't know until you do it.

Electronic Tech: Too late, I already do that. The tasks are constantly changing and we are working on stuff that is pretty high-tech. Pay is better then entry level flying. I get to learn on the job too.

Police Officer: I would love the ever changing working environment but would not feel excited about confronting an armed and dangerous person.

Police Helicopter Pilot: Better then ground bound officers!

"Look at what your career progression is in education vs. the airlines. You will probably not make 50K at a regional until you make captain.

My suggestion would be teach and continue to fly, gaining ratings and experience part-time or during summers. Let your work pay for your training to avoid debt. Network like crazy with everybody you know, then start flying charter or corporate locally. This will all probably take you 5 or so years, but your bank account, 403(b), Roth and quality of life will thank you later!

Do what makes you happy, but don't miss the forest for the trees. Good luck!"

Many thanks for the advice - I'll keep plugging along since I'm lucky enough to have a job that helps support my flying habit.... now to explain it to the girlfriend ...

Are Merchant Marines gone a lot on those tankers?

Depends.

Not sure what the latest contracts are like, but perhaps 3 months off, 3 on.

Back when I was crewing the tankers ya needed 6 months onboard to get a free ticket home from anywhere on the planet.

These days they have 2 complete crews rotating in and out.

Or so I have been told.

Move to Canada or Alaska and be a Fishing Guide, possibly flying a floatplane into the fishing holes.

Or go back to school to be an eye doc. I think I can do one or two, two or three, three or four. :)

Latest resources

Back