Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

If you weren't a pilot, what would you do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Everyday I ponder that question.

I did the Navy thing, then merchant marine, commercial diving, engineering consulting stuff, then I tired of them.

I guess if I could find some kind of field that interested me I'd want to own my own small business. But from having self-employed parents I know just how hard you have to work, so I'd have to be really into it. Haven't figured that out yet.

Other careers of interest: hotel management, firefighter, marine biology, develp wind/solar/etc power technology, forester.

Maybe the question is: what will I do when I'm furloughed?

Yup, yup, I was there:

Did the merchant marine thing, the thanker-man thing, the air force fire fighter thing.

Also did the taxi and truck driver thing. (Europe, 100,000 lbs 22 wheel trucks on icy roads..ouch)

The taxi driver thing paid for flight school.

Grew up with hotel managment as my parents owned and managed hotels.
(Hard work 24/7)

Been thinking about marine biologist...Sounds sooo interesting...Just like flying did 30 years ago.

Also delivered papers, peeled potatoes, scrubbed toilets, pumped gas, repaired motorcycles, etc, etc.

As the old saying goes, if ya can't be used for anything else, ya end up being a pilot.

19 flying jobs later, that is probably true.:D

Well, I took the ATC gig because flying wasn't looking too promising back when I was looking. I just became eligible to retire, and what I think I'd really like to do in 3-4 years is manage a small country airport someplace south of I-40. I'll mow the grass, change the lights, sell gas and rent hangers. And when I have time, sit in a rocker on the porch and trade jokes and lies.

Anybody got a lead on one of those jobs??

No, really!

CSY Mon said:
Yup, yup, I was there:

Did the merchant marine thing, the thanker-man thing, the air force fire fighter thing.

Ok, how the heck do you get into the merchant marines? I've been out of school for 3 months as an electrical engineer and am ready to throw in the towel at a moment's notice .. definitely not my cup of tea.

For those of you who are interested, west coast longshoreman make between $70-100k per year doing manual labor (the crane operators can close in on $200k). The catch? You have to work on "casual" status for several years, basically begging for a day of work here and there until you have accrued a few thousand hours and pass a skills test. But hey, once you're in, you're in.

Anyone know where to get a job as a oil derrick/field worker for an oil company? I've heard the pay is good.

While we're at it, can anyone throw me a few suggestions for jobs which involve outdoor work and decent pay without having to pay for more school?

cjs said:
For those of you who are interested, west coast longshoreman make between $70-100k per year doing manual labor (the crane operators can close in on $200k). The catch? You have to work on "casual" status for several years, basically begging for a day of work here and there until you have accrued a few thousand hours and pass a skills test. But hey, once you're in, you're in.
From what I have heard, the railroad jobs are the same. I knew a guy that was doing the odd jobs at the railroad part time to get in and he couldn't take it anymore.

cjs said:
Anyone know where to get a job as a oil derrick/field worker for an oil company? I've heard the pay is good.

Been there, done that....... went to college out of high school for a semester, partied, flunked out...... had the bright idea I was gonna work in the Oklahoma oilfield and make the "big" money.... after a year of throwing chains, running tongs, freezing in the winter, heat stroke in the summer, seeing guys lose fingers on a daily basis, and a couple of deaths, I decided there had to be a better way. Went to college again, got the piece of paper, working as a chemist now for Uncle Sam. Work in a sterile test tube M-F 8-5. Looking back on it, I learned more from those guys on the rigs than in any classroom. Took up flying as a hobby, and have thought seriously of trying to make a go at it, but more I think about it, the more I get discouraged. If I had to do it over, I think I would have gone to school for orthopedic surgeon. Get to work with power tools, work set hours, (no on call), and get paid some serious cash. That, or Plastic surgeon. 3 t!tty jobs a day, at 4 grand a pop = lots of toys for Dave.

OR

Wannabe Phil Robertson, the Duck Commander, and spend half the year following the waterfowl migration down from Canada....... Whackin' and Stackin'!! www.duckcommander.com :D

Already worked as a financial accountant and investment analyst. Noticed nobody listed those occupations:rolleyes:! Into my 3rd year as a full-time pilot. Maybe work as a mortgage broker. Eventually run my own company. Make some serious cash. Don't think I could go back to a cubicle dealing with office politics and the ridiculous review process the company I formerly worked for had.

Mr. I.

hoop said:
Been there, done that....... went to college out of high school for a semester, partied, flunked out...... had the bright idea I was gonna work in the Oklahoma oilfield and make the "big" money.... after a year of throwing chains, running tongs, freezing in the winter, heat stroke in the summer, seeing guys lose fingers on a daily basis, and a couple of deaths, I decided there had to be a better way. Went to college again, got the piece of paper, working as a chemist now for Uncle Sam. Work in a sterile test tube M-F 8-5. Looking back on it, I learned more from those guys on the rigs than in any classroom. Took up flying as a hobby, and have thought seriously of trying to make a go at it, but more I think about it, the more I get discouraged. If I had to do it over, I think I would have gone to school for orthopedic surgeon. Get to work with power tools, work set hours, (no on call), and get paid some serious cash. That, or Plastic surgeon. 3 t!tty jobs a day, at 4 grand a pop = lots of toys for Dave.

OR

Wannabe Phil Robertson, the Duck Commander, and spend half the year following the waterfowl migration down from Canada....... Whackin' and Stackin'!! www.duckcommander.com :D

Believe me, being an orthopaedic surgeon isn't all it's "cracked up" to be. You will be on call, like it or not. Plus you get to PFT.

I would be "The Dude"

the dude abides...

Latest resources

Back