• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

If/When Spirit Strikes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sometimes you just gotta put your foot down and say "no more". Kind of like me faxing my resume up to you guys for that Lear Chief Pilot job and telling you I'd take it for $120k a year. I knew you weren't going to call, but it was worth it for the wakeup call to what a Chief Pilot managing 5 other line pilots and 2 Lears is really worth. Not $55k. (yes, I know you didn't set the pay rates, but come on... 55k? really?)

Wow - $55,000 ???

USAJet used to be one of the better outfits - talk about "Lowering the bar" !!!

:cool:

Thank you for a civil answer. I wish nothing but the best for the Spirit pilots; I have many friends there. The contract is a slap in the face, it sucks, but it is better than the situation the guys from ATA, Airborne, DHL, Alstar and Midwest Express now face. When I see the battle cry of "Strike" I get worried. Spirit at best is a marginal airline, if they make a profit it is very small. They have tremendous debt service. They live on their cash flow, a strike that would stop that cash flow for even a short period of time could be fatal. Is it a bluff? Then JUS will look like one of the better jobs out like it does for the, Airborne, DHL, Alstar and Midwest Express pilots who send me resumes daily. I wish them the best and I still drink beer with the Spirit pilots.

1) If management is any good and they know a strike would kill the airline they will cave at the last moment...unless they have a golden parachutes.

2) If the airline would fail because they have to pay the pilots a competitive wage, then I would have to say they are on borrowed time anyway.

Spirit's management sucks. Did you see the clip where their CEO basically defended crappy service. "Hey, the passengers are paying ultra cheap prices. If they don't like the crappy service, then too bad. Go somewhere else. But, they will be back no matter how crappy we are because they want the cheap ticket." I feel sorry for the FAs that have to deal with these low rent passengers who would let someone treat them like garbage to get a cheap ticket.

Spirit barely making a profit? I suggest you read up on the quarterly filings with the DOT regarding Spirit revenue. Spirit has the lowest cost per seat mile and also has the highest profit margin per seat mile of any U.S. carrier. and thats just the money they actually report. Debt load? None, they lease the planes. Hedge fund owned and operated, they are roughly making 1 million dollars per airplane, per quarter in profit alone. Nice! We will burn it down if they will not give us a fair contract!

My bet is that Republic will do your flying for pennies on the dollar. The company will furlough all their pilots and sell off to Republic. Then the Republic pilots will be happy to fly your routes for $35 per hour.

Well I hope I am all wrong and you guys are all right. That you will get what you think is fair. I just keep thinking about posts from way back by the ME and ATA guys about reaching industry parity at marginal airlines. But that could never happen an another airline, so don't worry, besides as someone posted there would a certain satisfaction in seeing them fold.

YIP, for crissake, hang it up already. The last hing this industry needs is another company apologist/chief propaganda pilot dishing out those same scabby homilies.

Spirit's airplanes probably cost about $5,000./hr to operate. A healthy raise would probably increase their hourly costs by about 1%. Pilot costs have very little to do with profitability, but they have A LOT to do with executive bonuses.

Pilots are fighting management for the same piece of pie. Either we get it, or they get it. It's NOT going to the bank, the passengers, or the shareholders.

Why don't you do the right thing and retire already? Give your other pilots a chance to move up, and to have a CP with more reasonable expectations.

Last edited:
Cp?

YIP, for crissake, hang it up already. The last hing this industry needs is another company apologist/chief propaganda pilot dishing out those same scabby homilies.

Spirit's airplanes probably cost about $5,000./hr to operate. A healthy raise would probably increase their hourly costs by about 1%. Pilot costs have very little to do with profitability, but they have A LOT to do with executive bonuses.

Pilots are fighting management for the same piece of pie. Either we get it, or they get it. It's NOT going to the bank, the passengers, or the shareholders.

Why don't you do the right thing and retire already? Give your other pilots a chance to move up, and to have a CP with more reasonable expectations.
Ty, long time no hear, good to make contact again. How are the wife and kids? CP? Never happened that I know to me DA20 stds forever baby. BTW I am only being open about a fear of the negative results of employee action, sharing my thoughts with fellow pilots, much like the first mate in the Titanic saying "Captain there might be icebergs out there, we should slow down”. But I know saying anything except "Lets go on Strike" on this board is greeted with contempt. Only time will tell what will be the best course of action. I wish no one any ill will and hope everything works out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back