If/When Spirit Strikes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What if Spirit goes out of business?

Then an awful lot of investors will have lost of an awful lot of money, just to screw over a few hundred pilots and not pay them what every other pilot in the industry gets. Sound smart? Didn't think so.

Take your defeatism and bulls--- somewhere else. No one here is buying it.

I see standard FI answers, insults, name calling, etc, but how come no one answered the questions? Why do I get calls from Spirit pilots asking about hiring plans at JUS? In the end the consumer determines what the pilots will get paid, not management, not unions, not the gov't. BTW If all the pilot grew balls, would that require single gender operations?

Yip, while I agree the consumer has a part in determining pilot wages, management bears the brunt. Their "ultra low cost" model has to include paying pilots a competitive wage with competitive benefits. Do they pay their insurance provider 75% of the going rate? Do they pay their attorney's 75% of their going rate? What about landing fees, gate fees, taxes? Do they get a free pass to short all those fees too? I don't think so! Pilots are a cost of doing business and management should be able to provide a competitive compensation package. I would love to hear management call the insurance company and say we will only pay 3/4 of what you want because we might go out of business! Oh, yes we turn a profit but don't look at that!

Spirit management is playing the game right now...get as much as they can for as little cost as possible. I might do the same if I were in management. Are they bluffing? I don't know. The only way to find out is to stay united and be ready to strike. Are you advocating throwing in the towel and taking this crappy offer?

I see standard FI answers, insults, name calling, etc, but how come no one answered the questions? Why do I get calls from Spirit pilots asking about hiring plans at JUS? In the end the consumer determines what the pilots will get paid, not management, not unions, not the gov't. BTW If all the pilot grew balls, would that require single gender operations?
Then there is no need for coporations to lobby govt to get the legislation and policy they want..... correct?

Thank You

Yip, while I agree the consumer has a part in determining pilot wages, management bears the brunt. Their "ultra low cost" model has to include paying pilots a competitive wage with competitive benefits. Do they pay their insurance provider 75% of the going rate? Do they pay their attorney's 75% of their going rate? What about landing fees, gate fees, taxes? Do they get a free pass to short all those fees too? I don't think so! Pilots are a cost of doing business and management should be able to provide a competitive compensation package. I would love to hear management call the insurance company and say we will only pay 3/4 of what you want because we might go out of business! Oh, yes we turn a profit but don't look at that!

Spirit management is playing the game right now...get as much as they can for as little cost as possible. I might do the same if I were in management. Are they bluffing? I don't know. The only way to find out is to stay united and be ready to strike. Are you advocating throwing in the towel and taking this crappy offer?
Thank you for a civil answer. I wish nothing but the best for the Spirit pilots; I have many friends there. The contract is a slap in the face, it sucks, but it is better than the situation the guys from ATA, Airborne, DHL, Alstar and Midwest Express now face. When I see the battle cry of "Strike" I get worried. Spirit at best is a marginal airline, if they make a profit it is very small. They have tremendous debt service. They live on their cash flow, a strike that would stop that cash flow for even a short period of time could be fatal. Is it a bluff? Then JUS will look like one of the better jobs out like it does for the, Airborne, DHL, Alstar and Midwest Express pilots who send me resumes daily. I wish them the best and I still drink beer with the Spirit pilots.

I see the standard FI stupidity is alive and well in the scumbag/management/scab wanna be pilotyip!
If they went out of business a lot of stake holders and people would be out of money because a terrible management (just like you) team wanted to prove a point.
BTW, if people would stop applying to scum sucking ******************** hole operations like yours, there would be less people like you still flying in this industry!

Thank you for a civil answer. I wish nothing but the best for the Spirit pilots; I have many friends there. The contract is a slap in the face, it sucks, but it is better than the situation the guys from ATA, Airborne, DHL, Alstar and Midwest Express now face. When I see the battle cry of "Strike" I get worried. Spirit at best is a marginal airline, if they make a profit it is very small. They have tremendous debt service. They live on their cash flow, a strike that would stop that cash flow for even a short period of time could be fatal. Is it a bluff? Then JUS will look like one of the better jobs out like it does for the, Airborne, DHL, Alstar and Midwest Express pilots who send me resumes daily. I wish them the best and I still drink beer with the Spirit pilots.
Are you drinking with the potential strike breakers? Were the pilots of ABX, Airborne, DHL Alstar and Midex responsible for a viable business plan or management? Should pilots safely fly jets from pt. A to B or should they fool themselves like you and actually think that they are part of management and responsible thru their compensation package of keeping the airline solvent. There is one born every minute.

So you are saying that the pilots should accept that Spirit is marginal and accept the pay that management gives, all while hoping management doesn't use this acceptance as leverage to jack wages down. There is one born every minute.

Never mind that E&FA study the management business plan and know what is fair and reasonable.

Should the airline industry, a national asset, be treated as a pure market commodity, or should there be protections in place so that the speculation and at times radical fluctuation of the market don't effect commerce?

yes dear

Are you drinking with the potential strike breakers? Were the pilots of............at the speculation and at times radical fluctuation of the market don't effect commerce?
yes dear, whatever you say

What if Spirit goes out of business?
Same thing that happens when USA Jet goes out of business. Again. ;)

Another operator steps in to pick up the slack, management goes looking for a job with a destroyed company on their record, pi$$ed off shareholders make sure that CEO doesn't work in aviation again for a while, and life goes on.

Sometimes you just gotta put your foot down and say "no more". Kind of like me faxing my resume up to you guys for that Lear Chief Pilot job and telling you I'd take it for $120k a year. I knew you weren't going to call, but it was worth it for the wakeup call to what a Chief Pilot managing 5 other line pilots and 2 Lears is really worth. Not $55k. (yes, I know you didn't set the pay rates, but come on... 55k? really?)

Back to reality... Spirit isn't going anywhere, except maybe stopping operations for a few weeks. If the pilots saved their money like they should have been since the strike vote, should be a non-event.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back