Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

If the tables were turned UPS/ASTAR(DHL Airways INC)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HD2003

Would UPS pilots just lay down and let ASTAR pilots FLY UPS freight?

ASTAR pilots are still fighting a battle over scope. DHL executives agreed that ALL DHL freight would be flown by DHL Airways (now Astar) pilots in North America. DHL executives have used every legal loop hole they can. We are the original DHL Airways and that is our freight. Its time union pilots acted like union pilots.

ASTAR pilots are still fighting a battle over scope. DHL executives agreed that ALL DHL freight would be flown by DHL Airways (now Astar) pilots in North America. DHL executives have used every legal loop hole they can. We are the original DHL Airways and that is our freight. Its time union pilots acted like union pilots.

Well, this is going to get a nice flame war started.

Hold on, let me go get a drink and some pop corn........................

June 19, 2008

ASTAR Air Cargo Crewmembers File Grievance Against Proposed DHL/UPS Agreement

Wilmington, OH— ASTAR Air Cargo crewmembers, represented by the Air Line Pilots Association, Int’l (ALPA), today filed an expedited grievance with the ALPA/ASTAR System Board requesting a full investigation of and hearings on the numerous contract violations that would result from the proposed agreement between DHL and UPS. That agreement, announced in late May, would shift the airlift required for all DHL North American domestic air overnight delivery service to UPS—one of DHL’s chief competitors in the North American market. Currently, ASTAR carries 50% of the weight of DHL’s U.S. air freight.

ALPA seeks a cease and desist order against any transfer of flying now performed by ALPA-represented pilots to UPS. It also asks for a ruling that DHL is bound by the representations it made during the collective bargaining session and by the terms of Section 1 of the agreement.

“Our first priority is to make sure every aspect of our contract is respected by DHL,” said Capt. John Prater, president of ALPA. “While the contract requires that we file this grievance with ASTAR, we have also informed DHL of our actions. Not only will we allow DHL to fully participate in the investigation and subsequent hearings—we encourage it.”

The announcement between DHL and UPS came less than three months after ALPA and ASTAR agreed to a new contract with job security commitments from ASTAR. These commitments were endorsed by DHL, which at no time mentioned any ongoing negotiations with UPS and, in fact, misrepresented its future intentions to ASTAR and its crewmembers. DHL is a 49 percent owner of ASTAR and is represented on ASTAR’s Board of Directors..

Earlier this week, ALPA attempted to bring the actions of DHL and its parent company, Deutsche Post, to the attention of the German public by way of a newspaper ad in Bonn, the headquarters of Deutsche Post. The newspaper refused the ad, saying that it was too critical of the locally powerful Deutsche Post. A copy of the e-mail rejecting the ad is attached.

“This is just another example of how Deutsche Post and DHL insulate themselves from any criticism of their business practices,” said Capt. Prater. “Clearly, these companies make decisions in a vacuum without any thought toward how the decisions will affect the hard-working American men and women who have dedicated themselves to DHL’s success.”

DHL executives agreed that ALL DHL freight would be flown by DHL Airways (now Astar) pilots in North America. ... We are the original DHL Airways and that is our freight.

Are you also suing ABX (ATSG) for flying YOUR freight? :confused:

BBB

Four years ago, the ABX freight was sold out to DPWN. Now DPWN is selling out to UPS. If ALPA sues ABX, do they have to give the freight back to ABX since that is where it started. Just sarcasm.

Psst. R&W. Hows that? Good flamin? Pass the popcorn. This one may get fun. Again, I was just being sarcastic. Laughing keeps us from crying.

UPS would never be so foolish to put 100% of their customers boxes in their competitors hands. You can't blame UPS for any of this mess, it is all DHL. I also think you can't ask for help from UPS either since it is a windfall for them. They will control their competitor.....kill them if they wish while being paid to do it. All you can ask from UPS is that they do not pour salt in the wounds DHL has inflicted upon us, try to empathize for the situation we find ourselves in.

And before someone chirps in saying this is a great deal since the USPS does the same thing.....STOP. I worked for the USPS and no, it is far from the same thing. The USPS uses multiple carriers to move their freight as to shelter themselves from any one carriers possible future problems. The USPS also provides their own sort. The carriers just haul the cans and bags without them going into their own sort and scanners. That is why I think it is anti-competitive and bad for the consumers (you all can use that if you write the DOJ anti-trust division consumer tip line. I put that out earlier if you all are still waiting for some reason. :) )This deal is so.....I don't know if there is a word for it really. It favors UPS so much it has people such as myself saying there is more to this deal than we know. But no, you can't blame anyone but DHL and DHL alone.

Last edited:
Psst. R&W. Hows that? Good flamin? Pass the popcorn. This one may get fun. Again, I was just being sarcastic. Laughing keeps us from crying.

I'm just waiting for someone to say "Yo mama is so ugly......(insert slam here).....

UPS would never be so foolish to put 100% of their customers boxes in their competitors hands. You can't blame UPS for any of this mess, it is all DHL.

I didn't blame UPS. My original question stands.

Latest resources

Back