Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

If the tables were turned UPS/ASTAR(DHL Airways INC)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with Shooter. There is a lot more to the story. Kinda like trying to get to the bottom of something with your kids. You get some lame reasons from each side of why things happen a certain way that are so drastically different, the only thing you know is that someone isn't telling the whole truth. (I am referring only to ALL sets of management here) There is more to the game plan than "we lost too much money last year". That could have been fixed in ILN and everyone could still have jobs. IMO

UPS would never be so foolish to put 100% of their customers boxes in their competitors hands. You can't blame UPS for any of this mess, it is all DHL.

I didn't blame UPS. My original question stands.

Would UPS pilots just lay down and let ASTAR pilots FLY UPS freight?

Maybe I am getting confused as to what you are really asking. I thought your question was rhetorical. Are you serious about asking such a question? And if you are, what are you looking for in the answer. UPS pilots to add validity for your efforts in lawsuits to keep your jobs?

Your union is doing what it feels it needs to do. My opinion is that lawsuits are too lengthy to do any good in situations like this. Ask the Emery pilots and their continued on going lawsuits. Your efforts would be better spent by petitioning to the DOJ as a consumer and have them stop the deal as anti-competitive. IMO

Maybe I am getting confused as to what you are really asking. I thought your question was rhetorical. Are you serious about asking such a question? And if you are, what are you looking for in the answer. UPS pilots to add validity for your efforts in lawsuits to keep your jobs?

Your union is doing what it feels it needs to do. My opinion is that lawsuits are too lengthy to do any good in situations like this. Ask the Emery pilots and their continued on going lawsuits. Your efforts would be better spent by petitioning to the DOJ as a consumer and have them stop the deal as anti-competitive. IMO

What's anti-competitive about it? DHL is just replacing 2 subcontractors with a single subcontractor.

So. Tell me what's anti-competitive? ABX ran the sorting of DHL volume, now UPS will run the sorting of DHL volume. DHL will still pick up and deliver under their own brand. Sounds like you are grasping at straws.

So. Tell me what's anti-competitive? ABX ran the sorting of DHL volume, now UPS will run the sorting of DHL volume. DHL will still pick up and deliver under their own brand. Sounds like you are grasping at straws.

Not grasping at straws. But you seem to be to get this freight.

If you still wonder why I think this deal is anti-competitive, I will try and explain in further detail. For the following I would like you to think back to when UPS went on strike and how customers were able to get their packages.

The USPS tries to insulate themselves by using multiple carriers (FedEx, UPS and passenger carriers) and they use their own sorts. As a matter of fact, ABX does the sort work in a few of their locations. So If FedEx were to go on strike they have UPS and passenger carriers to get their customers freight moved.

If this deal goes through, UPS will control the flying and sorting for the DHL customers. If they were to go on strike DHL customers would be struck as well. Plus the USPS they already move for them. That would leave FedEx picking up much of the USPS, FedEx customers that have dual accounts diverting their packages through them and where will the remaining UPS and DHL customers go? Nowhere would be the correct answer. FedEx will be the sole carrier flying their customers and consumers would be crippled.

I’m not a business attorney, but as a consumer I find that highly anti-competitive and bad for consumers. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

If you still can't see how it is bad for consumers, you need to take your blinders off.

Not grasping at straws. But you seem to be to get this freight.

If you still wonder why I think this deal is anti-competitive, I will try and explain in further detail. For the following I would like you to think back to when UPS went on strike and how customers were able to get their packages.

The USPS tries to insulate themselves by using multiple carriers (FedEx, UPS and passenger carriers) and they use their own sorts. As a matter of fact, ABX does the sort work in a few of their locations. So If FedEx were to go on strike they have UPS and passenger carriers to get their customers freight moved.

If this deal goes through, UPS will control the flying and sorting for the DHL customers. If they were to go on strike DHL customers would be struck as well. Plus the USPS they already move for them. That would leave FedEx picking up much of the USPS, FedEx customers that have dual accounts diverting their packages through them and where will the remaining UPS and DHL customers go? Nowhere would be the correct answer. FedEx will be the sole carrier flying their customers and consumers would be crippled.

I’m not a business attorney, but as a consumer I find that highly anti-competitive and bad for consumers. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

If you still can't see how it is bad for consumers, you need to take your blinders off.

You mean kinda like when the APWU tried to unionize the sorters in ILN? What if they went on strike? No DHL volume would move. According to your scenario, your own operation would be anti-competitive. If ABX or Astar pilots went on strike, the other would most assuredly not cross their picket line in ILN, therefore shutting down the sort. That's anti-competitive too.

As for bad for consumers, you are wrong. Both UPS and FedEx provide much better service than DHL does.

So If FedEx were to go on strike they have UPS and passenger carriers to get their customers freight moved.

LOL! :laugh:

Shooter... you must be new to this industry to think UPS has enough spare capacity to pick up all the USPS volume that FedEx currently hauls.

If FedEx pilots were to strike, UPS would have their hands and planes full of express packages that shippers previously split between Fred and UPS.

I agree with BrownToThe Bone. This will be approved as just a change in subcontractors. There's nothing to see here, move along.

BBB

You mean kinda like when the APWU tried to unionize the sorters in ILN? What if they went on strike? No DHL volume would move. According to your scenario, your own operation would be anti-competitive. If ABX or Astar pilots went on strike, the other would most assuredly not cross their picket line in ILN, therefore shutting down the sort. That's anti-competitive too.

As for bad for consumers, you are wrong. Both UPS and FedEx provide much better service than DHL does.

When you have a 3rd competitor it absorbs the volume. Your name should be headboneisnumb.

DHL crappy drivers are better than no UPS or FedEx drivers.

BrowntotheboneSo. said Tell me what's anti-competitive? ABX ran the sorting of DHL volume, now UPS will run the sorting of DHL volume. DHL will still pick up and deliver under their own brand. Sounds like you are grasping at straws.

Whatever makes you feel better!

The deal as proposed will restrain the competitive pricing for these services by effectively eliminating DHL as a competitor in the market. By contracting with UPS for the most critical element of their business, DHL will indirectly relinquish the ability to set its’ own prices. Once UPS has taken over the air services and put the current service providers out of business, DHL will have no other options for their lift and will be at UPS’s mercy. UPS will take over de facto control of the pricing of the DHL product in the United States.

ASTAR Pilots are still fighting over scope. You would understand If your company just ignored your contract as ours has. I hope you have better luck than us. Two more Pilot groups with good contracts going away doesn't help anyone.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back