Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

If the tables were turned UPS/ASTAR(DHL Airways INC)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UPS is a trucking company that has airplanes, where FedEx is an airline that has trucks. If they are plotting to prevent future labor problems, can they use the DHL/USPS trucks to deliver UPS goods?

DHL has trucks? I never seen one, except those grey ,non-descript Airborne home delivery econoline vans. I read that with the losses that the USPS is taking they are thinking of outsourcing all of their large semi-truck deliveries to FDX by the end of the year.

DHL has trucks? I never seen one, except those grey ,non-descript Airborne home delivery econoline vans. I read that with the losses that the USPS is taking they are thinking of outsourcing all of their large semi-truck deliveries to FDX by the end of the year.

DHL has a large ground network, and uses contractors to haul it. While that does expand on my question, I was actually referring to the bread trucks.

Does DHL have the right to deliver UPS boxes when they get "mixed up" since they are in the same sort?

DHL has a large ground network, and uses contractors to haul it. While that does expand on my question, I was actually referring to the bread trucks.

Does DHL have the right to deliver UPS boxes when they get "mixed up" since they are in the same sort?

So you are saying DHL trucks deliver UPS packages if need be, due to what? I don't forsee that happening ever.

So you are saying DHL trucks deliver UPS packages if need be, due to what? I don't forsee that happening ever.

Just like no one ever seen the last UPS strike happening, ever?

Did UPS prepare to have FDX,DHL, et al, move their packages during that strike? No I didn't think so.

It wasn't being sorted in the UPS sort last time.

ATSG doesn't even have a certificate. Nice try.

You are correct that ATSG doesn't have a certificate. What Hete is going to do is get the ACMI with ANA changed from ABX Air to ATSG and get ATI and Capitol approved by the JCAB. That will give him the ability to use any of the three airlines to fly the ANA contract.

This is not about cost, and never has been. Rather, this is about forging a working arrangement with UPS which will allow them to use DHL, through their (DHL'S) contractors, to distribute their product in foreign markets.

It also opens the door to UPS using contractors to fly what would otherwise be UPS' freight in the event of a strike.

As you yourself pointed out in another post, the customers perception of "service" is created by person making the delivery. He is in essence, the only person who "touches" both the product and the customer. That's why UPS places such a premium on hiring the right people for that job, and pays them so well. The rest of us are, indeed, "peons."

UPS could very well use a DHL contractor aircraft to fly it's volume in parts of the world where UPS currently uses airline belly space or common carriage. UPS will continue to fly what it does internationally and will continue to expand the airline internationally. I know that you can't stand to hear good news about another airline Dan, but it's the truth. UPS browntail jets flown around the world by IPA crews aren't going to go away no matter how hard you try and rationalize it.

Why would they spend billions of dollars in aircraft and infrastructure to have it held hostage by Bob Miller and the IPA?

Not all contractors are "crappy" by any means. Northwest has been contracting to DHL for some time now, and they're certainly not "crappy." In contracting for anything, whether it's for somebody to hang drywall or a 747 to fly to ANK, you get what you pay for.

UPS will soon be flying DHL freight. Will that make you guys a "crappy 3rd party contractor" to DHL's core business?

Probably the same reason that they spent billions in infrastructure so they can be held hostage by the Teamsters every few years.

Latest resources

Back