IAP from a Hold

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AIM 5-4-8:

a) (The procedure turn) is a REQUIRED maneuver except when the symbol NoPT is shown, when radar vectoring is provided, holding pattern is PUBLISHED IN LIEU of a PT, timed approach, or the PT is not authorized (by ATC).

a.5) A PT is not required when an approach can be made directly from a specified intermediate fix to the FAF. IN SUCH CASES, THE TERM "NO PT" IS USED ... TO DENOTE THAT THE PROCEDURE TURN IS NOT REQUIRED.

Seems pretty clear to me. If you look at the plate, nowhere will you see "NoPT." Even from the south. As previous posts have said, the hold is not published in lieu of a pt. It is part of the missed. Of course, if being vectored, no pt is required, or allowed.

:D

Last edited:
well, Aim 5-4-8 is showing only "T" approaches for those aircraft that are RNAV equiped. I'm not saying that you guys are wrong, just simply don't believe that it would be as safe to do a turn back outbound and then a procedure turn back inbound. now don't go getting all defensive with me, I'm just trying to get some clearification. Thanks for the advice

H2O:

You must be looking at page 5-4-8 rather than section 5-4-8 which is entitled "Procedure turn."

I don't know which is safer. Either method seems safe but I agree that proceeding directly inbound would be easier and less time consuming. As far as safety goes...I guess following the rules would be the best option which means ... make the PT.

BTW, no defensiveness here. Seems like a good question. Stumped a couple of CFII's with it today. :D

Can anyone out there help me find the small (r) avbug was talking about that indicates radar vectoring is possible?

Last edited:
well, 172driver, thanks for your input, I can highly respect that. and thanks for understanding my point of view whether it be right or wrong, It seems as though some replies to me have been from the mightiest of aviator who know it all. Makes it kind of hard to respect someone like that and their answers. I was looking at the page # in the aim....shows how simple my mind works. thanks again.

Latest resources

Back